• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stuck in 2nd

No.2Diesel

Was driving the Deuce the other night in the rain and was downshifting as usual when coming to a stop at a red light. When I attempted to put it in Neutral as I came to a stop it would not budge. It was a long light on a busy road with no shoulder so I shut it down so as not to burn up the throw out bearing or the clutch. Light turned green and I started back up and crawled away in 2nd to the nearest safe spot to pull off and shut down.

I pushed the clutch in with the left foot, my right foot on the firewall and PULLED :x I seriously bent the shifter. It now touches the seat when in 3rd or 4th. Thank goodness for Low-Range. From then on whenever I had to completely stop I would start in Low3 and go Low4, Low5, Hi4, Hi5.

Shifting in any other gear is fine. I guess there are some serious burrs on those syncro rings!! I haven't pulled the top cover yet to see whats up. It looks as if I will rebuild my first Spicer and do a new clutch while I'm at it. I might even pull the T-case to replace its weeping seals. When I do it I will take pics and maybe do a tech article style write up.

Who usually has full rebuild kits in stock and do they sell new gear clusters as well? I'm not sure yet if I have to replace those. It also looks like I will be buying a chain hoist. Lots of fun.

JDToumanian

Boyce Equipment claims to have all spare parts for the Spicer transmissions in stock at all times, but I'm sure Memphis, White Owl and others do too.

Jon

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It might be really simple. I had one that would not shift, pulled off the top cover and the shift rods in the cover were corroded. I pulled them out cleaned them and works great now.

No.2Diesel

Hmmm....Synchros, forks, shift rods? Thanks for reminding me of the simple things before I drop the whole thing. Memphis wants $1,500 for a rebuilt unit.

What is right Mil engine paint for drivetrain parts that will withstand high temps and chemicles? Who makes it? I don't know what to paint the tranny & T-case if I do pull it.

JDToumanian

I painted my transmission and transfer case with the same Gillespie paint (alkyd enamel) that the rest of the truck is painted in. Anything will work, as those parts don't get hot enough to burn off paint... Not normally, anyway!

Jon

Capt.Marion

if its a side effect from the synchro being about worn out, just double clutch. then if you want to wait before doing a tear-apart of your transmission, you can still drive the deuce

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks