• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

stuck in mcpherson ks

reb87

I lost the water pump belt on my m944a1 855 cummins. I parked the truck on the moundridge ks exit, hope nobody messes with it tonight. Im staying at mcpherson tonight and hoping to find a belt here locally in the am. Was hoping to get home today(sunday)oh well(3 of my boys are going to miss school tomorrow). Going to get an extra belt to carry with next time. I read thru the tm hopefully it will change ok in the morning. Thanks to Sermis and his friends in tx for all the amazing help.
Ross

KsM715

Same here Im working in KC this week. Just got home an hour ago. If you had broken down Sunday morning and posted I would have headed out there. Bet the boys are pretty upset at missing school today:-D

reb87

Im home. I searched all over mcpherson for a waterpump belt. The numbers on the belt wouldnt cross over. The belt measured 42 inches and all I could find were 43 and 44. My napa guy looked up nhc250 and it called for 40 or 44. I tried the 44 and it was too loose and wouldnt tighten up. I tried the 43 and had a terrible time getting it on the pulley but finally got it loosing about a gallon of coolant in the process. I dont like the design of the waterpump adjustment. Im going to look into the Grainger for an emergency.

It took me about an hour to fix and then we started out for home. No real probs until we got into nebraska. The heater core started dumping antifreeze so I shut the valves and got that stopped. Then all the sudden I had oil dumping onto my left shoe. It was sputtering out of the air transfer case lever, ENGINE oil??? I switched the lever into the 6x6 position and that stopped the leak. The oilpressure gauge was jumping around from 45 to 100 psi. I think the air compressor head gasket failed (or something) and was somehow getting oil into the air. I bled all the tanks and let a bunch of air out of the gladhands but no oil came out. One of the air tanks however had about a quart of antifreeze??? Also the airdryer had a constant release of low airpressure (I dont know why). I checked everything I could think of and there was no pressure in the radiator(I mean excess air pressure) or crankcase, no antifreeze in oil or viceversa, the engine was running fine. I switched the lever back to 4x6, took off again and noticed if I stayed off the brakes and let the air stay up where the air compressor didnt cycle that oil didnt leak out of the transfercase lever. I drove the 90 miles home with only about 1pint of oil leaking out of the lever and everything else seemed to work ok.
Anybody know what the problem is?
Thanks for the goodwill guys, I am so thankful to be home. Now I have to figure out what is wrong. Ill try to post some pics tomorrow, I was towing a m447 using a commercial dolly.

KsM715

Glad to hear you made it back ok. Did you go down on friday? If so what were the roads like from wichita to OKC?

reb87

Left friday at 5pm after the kids got out of school. The roads from Salina to north of Wichita were snow packed and it was snowing hard. Turned to rain at Wichita. It was raining hard and the roads were wet into Texas. I almost spun out at 70mph, I tested the brakes and there didnt seem to be ice so I started going 70 again and hit a patch of ice right as the transmission kicked down (I was going up a hill with the suburban). I didnt get sideways but close. Backed the speed right back down to 50. The roads were perfect on the return trip sunday.

Really strange antifreeze in the third down air tank bleeder and oil in the trans case air shift lever.

JDToumanian

Glad you made it back!

The only way for engine oil and/or coolant to get into the air system is if your air compressor is clapped out.....

cundupa

Could the oil in the switch be back feeding from the transfer case,? Check the water pump, I had one that was tight from sitting and caused the belt to slip. Glad you made it home.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks