• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stuck in my yard....TWICE!!

tjcouch

With the way the weather has been of late for you folks up there, you may just want to wait for the ground to re-freeze in the next week! :wink:

Sken

dm, I'm just impressed that you had the presence of mind to take so many great pictures as Things Went Bad. Only a true Steel Soldier would remember that the "thread would be worthless without pics" in the midst of so much unplanned landscape modification.

Thank you. O.P.S. (Other people's stucks) have always fascinated me. My own, not so much.

tm america

how about running a winch cable under the truck through a snatch block then to the pintle on the tractor winch the truck back till it locks into the kingpin lock it in then winch the truck and trailer out

yeager1

I'm setting a deuce up for off road spraying duties (although most say a 5 ton is better suited) specifically because the weight of a 5 ton makes them sink FAST. The forest service uses deuces almost exclusively in CO because the 5 tons get stuck to easily. 5 ton tractors are better suited for the road or maintained dirt roads.

tsmall07

how about running a winch cable under the truck through a snatch block then to the pintle on the tractor winch the truck back till it locks into the kingpin lock it in then winch the truck and trailer out

You know, people would get a lot more information out of your posts if you would use a punctuation mark every now and then. I always have to read what you write several times to figure out what you're actually trying to say.

/hijack

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not sure if the 332 trailer has room for the dual tire configuration. Why not use your M200 with duals?

Last edited:

dm22630

I'm not sure if the 332 trailer has room for the dual tire configuration. Why not use your M200 with duals?

I have already made a trade with someone for that dual wheeled M200A1.....so I dont want to bend/break/screw it up.

The M332 definitely has room for duals, since there is nothing above the tires (no fenders or anything). My main concern would be the tongue weight pressing down on the 332. I really dont care if I screw the 332 up royally, as long as I could get the 872 moved.

mudguppy

what about this:
  1. block up the tongue/kingpin to support the trailer
  2. get a new jack handle
  3. jack landing gear up
  4. use 4x6's under the landing gear as "ski's"
  5. (cut an angle at the nose of each 4x6 = ski)
  6. run a chain from each ski to the front of the trailer to keep ski under each landing gear foot
  7. cage brakes
  8. winch that puppy onto more better ground.
thoughts?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it will work fine.(332)

dm22630

what about this:
  1. block up the tongue/kingpin to support the trailer
  2. get a new jack handle
  3. jack landing gear up
  4. use 4x6's under the landing gear as "ski's"
  5. (cut an angle at the nose of each 4x6 = ski)
  6. run a chain from each ski to the front of the trailer to keep ski under each landing gear foot
  7. cage brakes
  8. winch that puppy onto more better ground.
thoughts?

If it was dry I would think that might work, but with the extremely soft ground & the weight of the trailer, it would push the skis right into the ground. (Right now it has pushed railroad ties 5-6" into the ground from just sitting on them.

I just got of the phone w/the crane service......$185/hr x 6 hr minimum = $1,110 aua

They recommended a wrecker service to me that gets their cranes out of the mud.....so I called them & that wrecker service is coming out to see if they can do anything.

I am thinking now, that worst case, if I cant get a wrecker service to just get the semi trailer out.....then I will chain a 332 (modified) to it, swing the front around, adjust the 332 so it will pull the 872 straight & then have a wrecker service winch the whole thing across my yard.

This is becoming quite an expensive life lesson I am learning....

roscoe

Do you have access to a dump truck? If so just get a load of gravel in there (large #1s or 2s). Have the truck dump as it backs up to make a temp pad. Or if your nieghbor will let you use his tractor to get some gravel down. Then clean it up when things arn't so wet and use it for a parking pad. At least this way you aren't wasting your money on a one time fix. I can't see the wrecker service being able to do anything you can't do with all your equipment.

roscoe

I just read back the thread a little to see some of the suggestions and noticed you already put some concrete steps down. I think gravel will work a whole lot better. From quite a bit of experience with mud - flat pieces of concrete will get really slick and move aroung when driven on. Can't you friends front loader on his tractor and the nieghbors backhoe lift the trailer up in tandem? They probably know this but the breakout force is much greater than the lift power. I can move and lift rocks 1000lbs more by using the breakuot force. There is also some leverage tricks you can use. Don't give up.

Wild Horse Hans

Looking at the photos I think I would try this.
1. Move the trucks from behind the trailer.
2. Run a cable under the trailer to the tractor.
3. Attach the cable to another truck behind the trailer.
4. Have one person in the tractor trying to go in reverse and one in the other truck pulling the tractor backwards.
5. Once the tractor is under the trailer and connected up, hook the towing truck to the back of the trailer and try to pull the entire unit out backwards with the tractor helping in reverse.

It looks like the ground is better behind rather than in front. Once the weight of the trailer is on the tractor it may help with traction, and with a helper truck on solid ground, the whole thing should come out in reverse.
You may even have to dasiy chain a few trucks together to get it out, but with the number of trucks you have there you should be able to handle it.
I think it would be worth a try rather than having to spend money on a crane that will do even more damge to the yard and may just get stuck itself.

davesgmc

You got enought truck, just cain em all togeter, get the tractor hooked to the treiler in any means you can, use it like a big choo choo and pull it all out. either that or go find someone with a chinook and lift it wight out of the field and place it where ever you want. That would be cooler, now ya just got to find a privately owned chinook!

GOOD LUCK! If I were closer I would love to come help and use my 5 ton to just yank it right out.

KI4GSN

Since railroad ties are sinking, and looking at the pictures again, the mud would swallow gravel, couldn't you combine the two? Such as, gravel on top of RR ties? I think the big bridge ties would work better if you can find them, since they are 12ish feet long.

tsmall07

Don's bobbed deuce might be able to get in there without sinking. I bet you will be able to get in there no problem if you wait for your 53s to come and put them on the tractor.

I still am stuck on the original idea, the trailer is too low so let's dig a hole to put the truck in.[thumbzup]
If you have some spare inner tubes, you could tie them to the trailer, add some water to the yard and float it out.
I would look into hiring someone with a big excavator to come and get it out, around here it would cost about $200.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks