• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

stuck kingpin cap

schnackj

I am in the middle of trying to replace my front axle seals and zipper boots with one piece replacements and have hit a snag. I cant seem to get the top kingpin cap off on the drivers side, the other 3 came off with a little coaxing but this one is firm. I have been soaking it in break free and hitting it with a hammer and cant seem to be getting anywhere. I have gone through two excellent threads on the procedure and searched the site and haven't seen anyone else held up at this part.
any advice?
IMAG0327[1].jpgIMAG0328[1].jpg

Kaiser67M715

Beat down on mine, (opposite way you would think to pull it off) and it popped the cone washers out a little bit, enough to pry them out. I beat on them for a while the other way as well, but was still tight, took 2 seconds pounding the opposite way. so maybe a combination would work

I do see you got them off, so this is more for the next guy coming along

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Beat down on mine, (opposite way you would think to pull it off) and it popped the cone washers out a little bit, enough to pry them out. I beat on them for a while the other way as well, but was still tight, took 2 seconds pounding the opposite way. so maybe a combination would work

I do see you got them off, so this is more for the next guy coming along
When axle flanges have the tapered cones, the way to loosen them, is to smack the end of the axle with the big hammer. They can be a bugger to get free.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks