• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

stuck oil drain plug?

randini

I am sure that in the service, some young mechanic just ran it in with an air wrench. Since there was no gasket, the tighter the better. I did not bring out my air-wrench, but I am not certain it would have removed it. Certainly not after I rounded the plug.

So I just have to read the TM's, not memorize them, Right?...HA Honestly, some times its easier to fire up the website, rather than look up the TM's. But I should do a better job of looking FIRST. The depth of knowledge is impressive, sometimes also the depth of BS also....
Thanks

WantOne

Just changed my oil and installed spin on filters. No problem with the pan drain plugs but I couldn't get the oil filter drain plug out. It's not very accessible, nothing I tried worked. Ended up just pulling out one canister and the sucking as much of the old oil out, then cleaning up the oil that ran down the side of the engine.

Seth_O

On my F350 I am using a Fumoto valve in place of my drain plug. I was considering the same thing on the deuce. What size threads are the deuce drain plugs?
I just installed 2 of these on my deuce, I was able to get them for a pretty good price off the internet.

You want the T208 or the T208N (N signifying the version with a drain nipple on it.) The N is slightly more expensive, but was worth it for me.

I have yet to drain anything through them, but now looking forward to it when I do ;-). No more worrying about crush washers or over-tightened drain bolts!

Rusty nuts

I have the Fumoto valves on all my vehicles, makes draining or taking a sample a breeze. I really like being able to drain a completely warmed engine without getting burnt. Thanks for the number as I was thinking about putting them on my truck I am picking up this weekend.

JasonS

My wife once called me while changing oil and told me that she couldn't get the plug out; it just spun in place. Turns out that she got confused about which direction loosens the plug. She couldn't get it loose with a wrench; tried a ratched, worked up to a breaker bar, and finally got it to turn. She had to replace the oil pan.