• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stuck rear diff filler plug

Jersey 93 Ty

I thought I had a simple one tonight. After a week or so of near constant rain, this afternoon/evening the weather suddenly turned wonderful. Of course, I felt the need to put some work into a truck as soon as that happened. I brought my '84 M1009 over to my apartment, pulled the rear diff cover to drain the government fluid, and started cleaning things up. I made good use of my new set of Craftsman gasket scrapers (worth their weight in gold!) and wiped down the cover. Nothing looked out of place, and no stray shards were stuck to the magnet.

Unfortunately, I found out when I tried to pull the fill plug that the 3/8" square opening in the plug is now 5-sided. Soon afterwards I managed to run out of light, so the truck is spending the night with the differential cover sitting on top of the spare tire in the cargo area.

Tomorrow morning I'm going to try some more to force that plug out... which will probably require a replacement plug. If all else fails, I'll probably leave that plug in place and add a new one to the diff cover or something similar. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might try applying a little heat to the plug before attempting to take it out. No matter what, if it's already damaged you should plan on replacing it anyway.

acmunro

I had the same thing happen on one of my civilian trucks. I tried hitting it with a hammer - Punches, chiesels, easy outs and nothing worked. The plug seemed really soft. I used my mig welder and an old bolt. Stuck the bolt into the square opening welded it and turned it out. The heat from the weld helped. Good Luck.

acmunro

One other thing to add - You could always estimate the amount of fluid you need for a fill, and add it through the vent tube until you can deal with the stuck plug.

Westech

CPL
:ditto: been there done that with the vent line... takes a while but it works.. the rear of the truck will take 2.5 quarts of gear oil. I just did mine last week. you put 2.5 quarts and your good to roll.

Jersey 93 Ty

The vent line worked great. As it happened, I was planning on using the hand pump that AMSOil sells for use with their bottles, and right in the box was an adaptor that plugged directly in line. I probably could have gone with a small funnel and worked it that way, but this turned out very nicely. Man I'm glad I posted on here... Otherwise I'd still be under the truck cursing at it instead of done and showered!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks