• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stuck winch roller

ramdough

Doing a winch transplant..... about half way through.

The vertical roller (one that the nut is in the bottom) that is under the fuel tank does not spin. I don’t see a grease fitting for it. I see the nut under neath but no bolt head above it. I can’t figure out how the roller comes out or is serviced. I am guessing that roller is not too critical because it won’t have too much pressure.

How do you service it?

I am thinking of using a pipe wrench in the very top (where it looks like the cable can never reach) and force it to move.

Thoughts?

this one......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

coachgeo

Doing a winch transplant..... about half way through.

The vertical roller (one that the nut is in the bottom) that is under the fuel tank does not spin. I don’t see a grease fitting for it. I see the nut under neath but no bolt head above it. I can’t figure out how the roller comes out or is serviced. I am guessing that roller is not too critical because it won’t have too much pressure.

How do you service it?

I am thinking of using a pipe wrench in the very top (where it looks like the cable can never reach) and force it to move.

Thoughts?

this one......

assuming you have the whole unit removed from the truck..... I would go buy a gallon of parts cleaner and a pail the unit would fit in..... and soak it for days in the cleaner. If you have anything that vibrates.. (don't tell you wife and never let her use it again) use that to send agitation thru it. Some have made vibratory tables out of old vibrating wood sanders turned upside down .

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have an old brass tumbler for reloading take the media out and see if you can get on line and find a gallon of kroil by kano labs it will free any thing lol

ramdough

Thanks everyone. I think I will try the heat, a monkey wrench, and a big hammer and se what happens.

I am not entirely sure how that thing goes together. I did not feel a head on the top. Did it break off or what should it look like?

ramdough

I was able to get the roller apart. It is really strange how they are designed. Will post picture in next post.

ramdough

So the pin is just a shoulder bolt without a head. Instead of a head, it has two flats on it. But the head is fully inset into the bracket, so there must be a strange spinner wrench or something is wrong. Inside the roller, instead of oilite bushing, they used needle bearings. Mine are all rusted up.

what do you guys recommend to refurbish this? I was thinking of trying to break them out and push in an oilite bushing, but that seams like a lot of work. I also thought of using penetrating oil and trying to get them to spin, and then greasing them. I don’t think these things spin that Much.

Attachments

coachgeo

So the pin is just a shoulder bolt without a head. Instead of a head, it has two flats on it. But the head is fully inset into the bracket, so there must be a strange spinner wrench or something is wrong. Inside the roller, instead of oilite bushing, they used needle bearings. Mine are all rusted up.

what do you guys recommend to refurbish this? I was thinking of trying to break them out and push in an oilite bushing, but that seams like a lot of work. I also thought of using penetrating oil and trying to get them to spin, and then greasing them. I don’t think these things spin that Much.
pint? paint can with top... some cheap tranny fluid... maybe little diesel too. soak it? Know anyone with a paint mixer?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks