• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Studebaker deuce

vlmuke

Hi I bought a deuce the owner claims its a 1951 studebaker m35a2, but its a multifueled diesel does anyone know when studebaker built the m35 series I am going to pick it up tomarrow just curious as I thought it had the wrong year any info would be appreciated
Thanks
RichB

carguy455

Well it depends on how many times it was retrofitted or rebuilt by the military. I have a 53 Studebaker deuce with winch , mine is a gas and was never converted to diesel , but many were. Is yours a regular deuce or is there something special about it ?

vlmuke

I don't think so it was advertised as a 1951 studebaker m35a2 turbo miltifuel with a winch I am picking it up tomarrow afew hours a way I thought that they didn't make m35 until the late 50's

carguy455

The M35 series was started in the early 50's, yours most likely started life as a regular M35, then as it was modified it became an M35a then an M35a2. The truck did NOT leave the factory as a Turbo Diesel in the 50's. It was converted as the technology evolved, very common practice of the US military.

FrankUSMC

I have NOS brass M34 data plates that have the year made into the plate. All the ones I have are dated 1950.
One of the few, Frank

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it was a depot repower and I'll bet it is, most everything will be the same as the later deuces. Few exceptions are the locations of axle breathers, brakeshoe holdowns and front axle shaft joint design. Might even have gasser fenders on the front, that was done alot. Look at the cab floor just above the accellerator pedal. If there is a little plate bolted there it was converted. There are bunches of places to check the little things. I've had a 52 Stude and my M108 is a 53 Stude. Deuce prototypes were out for testing in 49 and full production in 1950.
Hope this helps!

carguy455

Recovry4x4 said:
If it was a depot repower and I'll bet it is, most everything will be the same as the later deuces. Few exceptions are the locations of axle breathers, brakeshoe holdowns and front axle shaft joint design. Might even have gasser fenders on the front, that was done alot. Look at the cab floor just above the accellerator pedal. If there is a little plate bolted there it was converted. There are bunches of places to check the little things. I've had a 52 Stude and my M108 is a 53 Stude. Deuce prototypes were out for testing in 49 and full production in 1950.
Hope this helps!
Uhm, ya....What he said !

vlmuke

Thanks everbody for you excellent information I picked up the deuce today and drove it 170 miles home when I was about 10 miles from home it was pop or miss ocasionally with a puff of grey smoke I spoke with my father in law and he said it was a "sticky" injector or a wet air filter, it was raining really hard, I drove it to the store this evening and it ran fine no popping
Thanks again for all you helpful information!
RichB

rflegal

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Converted Stude

Is this the same unit that was offered for bid on EBay a couple weeks ago? It had both plates - the original gasser data plate looked like it had been riveted to the inside of the door or maybe the glove box. Just curious

rice

deuce

No, this one being a 62 was originally 427 multifuel. I was told the turbo was added later. I sold it to a landscaping business in St James NY. Here it is when I sold it.

Attachments