• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stump 1, Deuce 0

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I wanted to pull a tree out the other day, it is really close to my carriage barn. Got to looking at it and the tree is a bush! A regular cedar landscaping bush that has got to be OLD. So I get the deuce out and load some big rocks in it for weight, chain the stump low and over a old truck rim. Let my friend chris do the driving, don't want to be a hog about playing with the big truck. Gave it some mild jerks and nothing. So I got serious, and hooked my 17,000 pound bus on the front of the deuce. Jerked some with both of them, and nothing. At that point I decided I like the bush right where it is. O well, it was fun trying!
Dennis

Attachments

Last edited:

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ahhhhhhh, the chain down low was the problem. I have had hedge bushes 1/4th that size defeat Squirt-truck when the chain slid down low. (Did pull the grade 80 transport chain into pieces though...) If you want it up, put the chain as high as you can get it securely around the "bush".

oops...

If you really want that tree gone...attach your cable/chain/whatever about 5 feet of the ground,and trim a couple of the branching roots of the back side first.Then pull.
You bassically started your pull from the trees (with a trunk like that it stopped being a bush years ago)stongest point.
trees that size often have root structures the same size as the crowns (species dependent)in other words...whats on top is the same under ground.pulling it from ground level would make a cat work hard.
This point,by the way,is also the best point to put your winch cable/tree strap when getting unstuck somwhere remote.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking at the tree, no matter what way you hook it, the thing is going to stay. I am going to trim it back some and call it good. Thanks for the suggestions, next tree is in for a surprise.
Dennis

Last edited:

CCATLETT1984

I had to remove a lilac bush that was about that size, take about hell.
it took us four hours of digging to get down to the main roots, hacked them out with an axe and pulled it out with the garden tractor, then just fill in the hole.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not trying to be negitive. But i think you need a bigger truck. A M123 tractor should get it done.

slash79

just blow the damn thing out of the ground. that would be the most fun and easiest thing. but i pulled a crab apple tree up with my 3/4 ton ford, it had about a 8 inch diameter truck. it was fun, 4 low, granny gear, dumped clutch, about 3 feet of slack on the strap, and crack up she came.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
lovebloodhounds said:
stretch i would be a little weary of pulling the tree it looks mighty close to the barn the root system may have grown under it. just a thought! :(
My thoughts too. It might take the whole barn down with it for revenge :twisted:

If I were you, I'd speak chainsaw to it. Break out the ol' Stihl and give it a haircut real low to the ground :)

40grit

heck, chainsaw it about waist high and put a small table top on it. would seem to make a good place to set stuff down while you open the barn doors.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks