• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"Stumped by a Stump!" Bent Tie rod???

rolling18

Went "wheeling" today got pretty hairy, ended up getting stumped by a large stump!! well, only way out of the situation was "over" it and well wondering why my air assist steering was not working and id loose tons of air while making turns
heres the reason!!!!

yes it USED to be straight across/ parallel to the ground uhh!! I should be glad i made it out of that situation

Any ideas how to "unbend" or replace? or???
hit it so hard it moved the air-o-matic arm where it bolts to the bar!!!
thankx!!

Attachments

Last edited:

wsucougarx

I've got two kits mounted on my deuces. No extras. Brad does the parts laying around. I've seen the part you need at his place. Now it all depends on his attitude the day you head over there. It's hit or miss with him. Some days (majority) he doesn't want to sell anything. Good luck;-)

wsucougarx

Exactly, I called him out on "The County is making me get rid of ALL of my trucks. They say they're going to come in ans seize everything and put a lien on my property". Then the next time I go out to his place and notice he's got five M923's on his property and asked him what all the hub bub was about the County. He just looked at me and smiled. I could tell he didn't remember what he told me and fixed up another storyfat lady sings...LOL. Quite entertaining:doghead:. The art of not telling the truth is to remember all the non-truths you have fixed up...LOL

o1951

Any ideas how to "unbend" or replace? or???
If you would like a long and happy life, suggest replacing all damaged steering and suspension parts. Straightening bent parts is inviting failure when under stress at a critical time.:)

Last edited:

Amram

If he sells you that air assist out there I will be peed off to the next level. I asked him if I could buy it....he says sure come take a look at it. I come take a look and he says he is putting it on one of his trucks. Just like my winch....he sold the first one he had saved for me as I was coming down to pick it up. Then the one I bought this weekend he sold the darn cable out of right before I could install it. So techically I only have 3/4 of a winch. I have no clue where to get the cable to go on this stupid winch so it it will be less like a boat anchor and more functional. Brad is driving me insane to the 10th degree.:cookoo:

jesusgatos

Man you guys are really hammering on Brad. Only met him once, but I must have hit him on a good day or three. He let me camp out on his property and hooked me up with a bunch of parts, all at great prices. Had a really good time hanging out with him and learning a bit more about all this old junk we're into.

rolling18

Oh, and regarding tierods - they're hollow. Tubing. Not pipe. Either find a stock one or using tubing and welding-in threaded insert like these would probably be the cheapest/easiest/best way to go.
Difference between tubing and pipe?

What exactly were you showing me in that thread of pictures in the provided link?

Amram

I thought the tierod for the air assist was a special part that is different than the standard steering tierod. That is just what I thought I observed by looking at a truck with it on there.

M813A1

A Better idea is to get a takeoff from someone that is parting out a truck it will have both tie rods and the draglink and maybe adjusted to keep your alignment right

Last edited:

jesusgatos

Difference between tubing and pipe?

What exactly were you showing me in that thread of pictures in the provided link?
Tubing and pipe are two entirely different types of material (pipe is primarily used for plumbing). You'd want to use tubing in this case, if you were going to make your own tierod. Was showing you the weld-in threaded inserts that PSC sells. They work with the stock tierod ends. Would allow you to use a length of heavy-wall tubing, cut to length, and then just weld those ends into place. Could be made significantly stronger than stock.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks