• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stupid me

JimmyThompson

I came across some Grote LED side marker clearance lights and wired them up off of my rear signal connectors via a "Y" splitter, three lights per side. One of the side markers didn't work (driver's side) so I found a Grote incandescent side marker and wired it in place of the LED. I figured it was as easy as that... Yet, when I flipped the drive lights on to check my work I heard some faint "snap, crackle, and popping" and smelled something resembling an electrical fire! I immediately turned OFF the lever and looked under the hood and into the battery compartment, thankfully nothing was burning. Upon closer inspection I realized the newly installed Grote incandescent light is a 12v model not a 24v! I unhooked the light and flipped the lever ON and when I indicated a left turn... Nothing worked as it did prior to me installing the 12v light. Did I fry my signal-box under the hood?!!? Thank you in advance for your input.

JimmyThompson

I do recall smelling some smoke under the dash and under the hood. The running lights still work is that helps any.

My neighbors are looking at and likely wondering "My God, now he's SNIFFING that ugly thing"!

Jeepsinker

There are no fuses or fusible links, so that pretty well leaves you with a component failure, which will have to be either the flasher, 3 lever switch, or signal control switch. All three are cheap and easy fixes. If it were me, I would start with the flasher. Every deuce owner should have spare parts like these on hand.

Jeepsinker

Well, let us know what it turns out to be. I'm kind of curious myself as I wouldn't have thought having a 12 volt light in the circuit would damage anything but the light itself. I figured it would just pop the bulb. Next time run two 12 volt side markers in series instead of just one.

JimmyThompson

Ok so I replaced the flasher module and flipped the 3-lever switch to drive and then indicated a left turn via the signal lever... No display on the lights, the signal indicator light on the signal lever, and I heard a wierd *doink* of a noise coming from the 3-lever switch! I reckon it's time to buy one of them too! Any ideas???

Jeepsinker

What you heard was the circuit breaker in the switch trip. Next item should be the signal switch. If it still trips the breaker in the 3 lever then you have a short to ground in the left turn circuit.

JimmyThompson

Can I disassemble and replace/fix the turn signal? Not sure how there's a short in the wiring... It worked fine until I hooked up the 12v light.

Last edited:

peashooter

I just hooked up some of the grote LED side clearance/Marker lights also and have a couple that arent working (3 out of 7). They will come on for about 5 seconds then turn off for several minutes before coming on again briefly..... both on the truck and when hooked up to a 24v bench test power supply. These would be the grote 82102, 82112 type is that what you had also? I cant find any info on them any longer on the grote site... looks like they quit making them and even having reference to them.

Attachments

JimmyThompson

Those are the type of lights that I'm using too (minus the 12v incandescent one) except I was using the amber ones. I just put a "Y splitter" on each rear wire and ran them forward (three per side front, middle, and rear). I'm not sure why you're getting power but not flashing. I reckon some will say you should replace your signal module under the hood?!!?

I called Grote and explained my issue. They were no help whatsoever and referred me to SAIC, one of their distributors. SAIC was nice but didn't provide any further assistance either.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks