• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stupid newby question

landfillman

Another stupid newby question here from Mississippi. Im aware of a Deuce in the next town over thats in fair shape but the brake system is gone. It was robbedto keep a Pullout truck running. I know they are air over hydraulic rigs but has anyone converted one over to full air brakes. Im more familiar with them since I work on them at work and have a few sets on personal trucks. I may look to see id the backing plates might be the same as the ones on a Mack axle or a Nu Way axle for setting brake chambers on.

I will hold off if I can find the right parts to go back with air/hydraulic brakes. But it looks bad now all the lines and booster are gone. THe truch appears to have a Cummins in it by the look of it. It starts but no brakes what so ever.

area52

If it has an original Cummins engine, then its not a 2.5 ton truck (i.e. deuce). Its a 5 ton 809 series truck. the brakes will be the same air assist/hydraulic system.

I think there was a thread on here about someone who switched an older 5 ton over to full air brakes.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it has an original Cummins engine, then its not a 2.5 ton truck (i.e. deuce).
Well, it could be a deuce. There are a few around that were converted. The way I understand it was a A3 prototype. Although they ended up going with the Cat engine I have seen a couple come through GL. I think they actually built several but most went to foreign sales.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Well, it could be a deuce. There are a few around that were converted. The way I understand it was a A3 prototype. Although they ended up going with the Cat engine I have seen a couple come through GL. I think they actually built several but most went to foreign sales.
HendersonJ brought the conversion kits at auction (since sold) when the OM went out of business

landfillman

Mike2 what part are you from? I got another lead on another truck possilbly a pre Vietnam rig. The man telling me about it said it had a stick wood loader on it. Hes a scrapper and I ve talked to him about buying all the OD iron he finds.

I appreciate all the Info folks Ive been around converted Mvs a bit but sadly never got really involved with them .

Jake0147

I know they are air over hydraulic rigs but has anyone converted one over to full air brakes. Im more familiar with them since I work on them at work and have a few sets on personal trucks. I may look to see id the backing plates might be the same as the ones on a Mack axle or a Nu Way axle for setting brake chambers on.
Not air over hydraulic. Full hydraulic with air assist. You'd be changing a lot more than the wheel ends, the entire thing is different. It's very much like a the old hydrovac units, except instead of vacuum on the back side of the booster, it puts pressure on the front. And of course a smaller size because you have a larger air pressure differential to work with.

There is an outlet from the air pressure chamber which serves to run the trailer brakes, however this relies on the fluid system being intact and offering appropriate resistance in order to modulate it's pressure. It's a function of the booster, and not of the trucks basic braking system.

The parts are out there to convert to full air. I couldn't tell you where, but I've seen a couple (on the internet, not first hand) which were set up that way. The claims are that they were released this way, perhaps as a test bed for an upgrade that never happened. One was a deuce wrecker I think, perhaps it was the crane? Definitely not enough truck for it's intended purpose and specialty body either way, or perhaps they just liked the idea of the spring cans for operating safety. Dunno. Folks who have done the research on foundation brake parts said it came in the neighborhood of six grand. Makes the lack of a treadle and a borderline sufficent compressor seem trivial. The compressor would more than certainly keep up with a skilled and knowledgeable driver, but you could certainly run out if you were not well versed and not thinking ahead.