• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stupid tire questions

m35a2cowner

Question. Why can't I get my tires off easily? I cleaned the studs and nuts when assembling. I just got done taking an outer dual off, which was off only about 4 months ago, and it was another jumping on the 4 foot breaker 3/4 inch breaker bar session. I now have one less Snap on extension. Seriously, its always a battle to get them off and I worry one day if I have a flat out on the road I won't be able to change a tire. Also, I noticed two of the rims on the truck have riveted centers and the others don't. What is the difference? On an historic note one of the tires I took off to change was 40 years old; 4 years older than the truck. Thanks

da_sgt

Just cleaning them might not be enough, inspect them for overall condition. Things should turn smoothly, if not you might have some thread damage. I like to use some anti-seize (never seize is the brand name I use). A little goes along way. You shouldn't be breaking things just to remove a nut. The cost of replacement for the studs and nuts really is'nt that bad. You can do a search here and find the NAPA numbers, I know I've posted them more than once :wink:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as the wheels, the riveted wheels are the older design. Someone just mixed up some wheels on your truck. Either do the job just fine but I prefer the look of the welded wheels.

m35a2cowner

Stupid tire question

Thanks for the info. I had two tires changed and asked the tire guy about the studs and nuts. He said to make sure everything screwed together without any binding and to use never-seize on the outside nut only. I asked and he said it was alright to put it on the threads, again only threads that nut screws on. He then went on to say to torque the studs, inner wheel retainer, to 140 foot pounds and the outside nuts to 80 foot pounds. Is this correct? I think it sounds a bit low. It might explaine why the tires are so hard to get off as I tighten them, hand tools, in direct perportion to how much I don't want them to come off. And that's a lot. Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks