• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stuttering/starving at acceleration - ideas

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spoke too soon.
When I went to pick it up, it started up just fine, idling at 800. On the highway in a couple minutes and it's feeling pretty good, first light I come to, I put it in neutral well before the light (I don't downshift when slowing down, it's a pita enough shifting in this truck to begin with), the idle doesn't drop below 2000 in neutral and thus begins a fun ride home of erratic idle & wild rpm swings. Really, the only way the rpm would change would be to throw it in gear, and it'd drop to match that gear. Sometimes, I'll be driving at 2000 rpm, throw it in neutral and the rpm will shoot up 500 to 2500 with nothing engaged! Sometimes I could tap the accelerator and the rpm would drop, but that only worked a couple of times. The best I got was an idle of 1000 while standing at neutral, during the wait at the border. By the time I got home, an hour after that the truck was idling at 1600 while sitting in neutral.

*sigh*

rustystud

Did you ever adjust the High Idle screw ? That and the governor assembly could be sticking. Also the "plunger sleeve" could be sticking on the "plunger" . To check the plunger sleeve, just remove the fuel control rod and plate (two screws) . Then shoot some good LDS 2 Spray up into the sleeve and plunger (I use "Tri-Flow" spray myself. Good stuff). Using a small screw-driver try and move the sleeve up and down. It should move freely with no binding.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks.

I'm busy this week, but I'll dig into it Sunday. Just have to run through potential solutions until something works. It's not the same problem he was having, though. It's not starved for power, it even seems to have a bit more...but that might be because the leak is gone. I drove with that leak ever since I've had it.

rustystud

Thanks.

I'm busy this week, but I'll dig into it Sunday. Just have to run through potential solutions until something works. It's not the same problem he was having, though. It's not starved for power, it even seems to have a bit more...but that might be because the leak is gone. I drove with that leak ever since I've had it.
The "plunger sleeve" sticking would not cause a fuel starvation. It would act more like a sticking throttle lever on a carb. Sometimes it would work, then other times it would stick causing high RPM's.
Even with your foot of the "go" pedal. Basically what your experiencing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks