• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Successful Recovery ofbM923A2 This Past Weekend From Sparta, WI

brasco

I had a successful M923A2 recovery this weekend from Sparta WI. I picked the truck up from Jeff Laumer's lot. A big thanks to Jeff for previewing the truck and hauling it out for me. Another big thanks to my wife for driving the chase vehicle.

We arrived at his lot about 8:30am. After a quick orientation and making sure the truck was roadworthy we left about 10:00. After 545 miles, several rest stops, and over 12 hours later we arrived home in Southeastern Indiana. We calculated the mileage at about 8MPG.

When we started, the engine fan was always running due a stuck thermostat valve but when we got it home, the fan was not running and water temp was 180 degrees so it appears that whatever was stuck is now un-stuck. No other major issues were found. I have a few rusty areas to touch up and the bed rail had a small dent, no big deal.

The trip was uneventful except that I destroyed the plugs on my Bose A20 noise cancelling headset when I got them caught in the parking brake mechanism - looks expensive to fix. The truck is not loud but those headsets are great when coupled to via bluetooth to a cellphone. My wife and I talked on the phone almost the entire time. We both really enjoyed the trip and she is looking forward to more road trips in the truck... maybe she will let me buy another one...I'm hooked!

Sparta 1 small.jpgSparta 3 small.jpg Sparta 2 small.jpg

Don

Last edited:

brasco

/UPDATE/ I started the truck yesterday afternoon. It started perfectly but as I a walk-around I thought I heard the fan running. I popped the hood and, sure enough, the fan was running again. I think I will try the rebuild the control valve before I buy a new valve.

Also added pics today. I also have video but I guess I need a youtube account or something to put it on.

PATRIOT1

Congrats, Don. Great looking truck. I recovered one just like it - 2012 Reman M923A2 from Wright-Patt. last month. I'm taking it up to Rock Island in the next week or so to recover a self-loading container trailer just won yesterday, that will look pretty sweet behind it (esp once I get a camo 20-footer container!). And yes, there is no cure... Schutt-SLC-Trailer.JPG

mahdey

You're the one I was in a bidding war with Patriot haha.

Glad the recovery went well. Might pick up another 5 ton from sparta this week.

PATRIOT1

I noticed the link posted was the one I ended up winning! You probably cost me another $500, **** you! If you're ever around these parts, give me a holler if you need anything... I'll make sure NOT to show up! hahaha...

mahdey

I noticed the link posted was the one I ended up winning! You probably cost me another $500, **** you! If you're ever around these parts, give me a holler if you need anything... I'll make sure NOT to show up! hahaha...

haha, well you made me drive to Sparta WI to get mine, but it was a last minute buy and after the auction I found out it was a 2012 reman with 7 miles :). I owe you for that haha.

DJones

Steel Soldiers Supporter
David, Actually, my wife an I were talking about it today... still not sure if we can fit it in the scheule but will try to make it if we can... she already has my summer schedule arranged with weddings and other events.

Don
Don if you can't make the summer rally maybe you can make the fall rally.

Hoefler

I have pulled several trucks out of Sparta-all have been great except for one. Jeff L pulled and delivered the last one. He reconditioned the batteries in her and turned up the fuel. Its a great 5 ton.
Pete

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks