• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Successful Recovery

cjcottrill

I had an appointment to pick up my "new" deuce this morning at Columbus DSCC. With my son along to provide the chase vehicle and tool box we headed out. Arrived about 0815, met Brandon who took me to the compound. I was a little concerned since it had been over 70 days since I last saw the truck and the predicted rain and high winds did not help. I was also afraid the cold weather might have had an affect on the batteries. When we found the truck, I went over the fluids, completed a normal pre-trip inspection, checked for hydrostatic lock, and crossed my fingers. It fired off and settled into a smooth idle in no time. Didn't even need the x-tra batteries I brought along. I added 5 gal of fresh fuel and headed out the gate, drove around the 270 outer belt to 23 south and stopped to top off the fuel and do a walk around. Everything look good. Back on the road heading home when the rain hit, the winshield wipers promptly lost their rubbber strips but other than that the only problem was holding the throttle back , she was itching to take off. Made a quick stop at my work site to allow the appropriate drooling, then headed on home. A little WD-40 freed up the parking brake cable everything work pretty good. I still have a few minor repairs to make. Not bad for a 40 year old truck. Someone lifted the two slave cable adapters that were in the glove box, couple box wrenches missing from the tool box, other than that pretty much the way I left it last. Only 4-1/2 hours round trip, stops and all-not bad. Getting ready now to head off to Dayton in the morning to pick up my "new" m105a2.

Attachments

x-ray

Nice truck - glad your home safe.

Regarding the wipers failing at a critical moment, I found its handy to bring Rain-X wipes on a recovery or in the deuce in general. Can see well without wipers, even in heavy rain.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
drgreg said:
Prolly a "D" then

/\ /\ /\ what he said. The "C" turbo is the whistler, and the "D" turbo is the non whistler. The "C" at the end of the engine model doesn't really have anything to do with the turbo type.

Congrats on the great recovery, and that's a fine looking truck.

By the way...Mahdey and I are trying to get some kind of a "meet -n- greet" put together for the Ohio members and anybody else who might want to show up. Nothing fancy, just maybe lunch, and a BS session about our toys. If you or Buckeye2000 or anybody else wants to attend you will be more than welcome. Details will be posted at a later date.

cjcottrill

Your right ( of course) on the turbo ID...my bad, Thanks for the invite. I'll watch for the details. This sure is a busy time of year, but I would like to try to work it in.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks