• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Successful recovery!

Buckeye2000

Ok, so it was only Columbus to Centerburg (about 30 miles). It still counts as a recovery, right?

I left home @ 0615 since I needed to pick up a few things before heading to DSCC. Met John and we headed out, we were cleared onto the base and met Brandon w/GL a little before 8:30. He took us right out to the truck and I signed the invoice, so she was officially mine! We swapped out the batteries and checked all of the fluids, then it was time to see if the 68 day wait was worth it.......

It took a little cranking but she fired right off and settled into an idle. I was amazed that all of the lights and turn signals worked. A couple of the tires were a little low, especially the passenger side front (which shows in one of the pics). We decided to head off base to a close gas station for air and fresh diesel. Of course, I forgot to bring bolt cutters or a grinder and there was no key for the chain/padlock on the steering wheel. John got it unbolted so it just hung down out of the way.

Anyway, I'm heading out of the lot with a big grin on my face when Mr. Murphy decided to visit. I turned out of the lot and the chain/padlock swung from the center to the outside of the wheel. You can see where this is going - the wheel spun back out of the turn, I missed catching the chain, and WHACK! Right into the driver's door window twice:doh: Gave it a pretty good crack (see pic) but thankfully didn't shatter. The chain also hit the turn signal control, so that got a little messed up and I lost my turn signals.

But nothing was going to ruin my day. Driving this truck has to be one of the best stress relievers out there! It's not perfect but it's a runner and I've got a ton to learn. Got it home and my wife said (quoting) "it's actually pretty cool." Guess that means a 5 ton would be REALLY cool.

Recovery 1 down.........enjoy the pics and video

This is right after she fired up
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odgdSqi7dms[/media]

Ready to roll
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axFfP7jDtIc[/media]

On the road
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgTHxaPm9to[/media]

Attachments

Last edited:

crazyplowboy

I was wondering the same thing wsucougarx I've never had the opportunity to see windshield wipers with a delay before on a Deuce. Sure looks like a good option in my books if such is the case.

monkeythumbs

I helped him with the recovery and one of the wipers didn't work. He was using his hand to move the wipers. I didn't realize he had taken a video while driving , I was thinking thinking to myself when I was watching that video(Wiper Delay?) the realized what was going on. Jeff's christmas came a few days early this year, and I enjoyed watching him play with his new toy. :-D

johnfrombeyond

Way to go on a safe recovery. Thanks for the info, folks will read this and think they better take a cutoff saw or hacksaw on their next recovery. If not for all the good info posted on here my recovery would not have been as smooth as it was. :-D

Divemaster920

Banned
Well if you refuse to use those items. One other thing will work....Keep your thumbs on the inside of the steering wheel.:-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks