• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Successfull 115 mile M105A2 recovery from Calhoun GA

jimbob1111

My son & I went and got my M105A2 @ the GA National Guard base in Calhoun GA last monday. I tried to kill 2 birds with one stone and that didn't work so well.
I was dropping off 1/2 cord of red oak in Mableton, then hitting 75N to calhoun to get the trailer. I traded the firewood for a 165K kerosene torpedo heater.
All the recovery gear had to go in the cab of 96 Dodge 2500 4x4 Extended cab. (no back doors)
2 high lifts, 3/4" drive Swench wrench, mag trailer lights & everthing SS members recomended in posts.
After 1.5 hr hold up with firewood guy, he wasn't ready. Left there late for Calhoun. Got there @ 11:30, met the fellow representing GL, real nice guy retired from that NG unit.
Tried to flip lunette, cotter pin was a NO GO. jacked up 1 side at a time, wheel bearings good, no brakes rubbing or dragging. Tires low, right 8 psi, left 20 psi. Hooked to trailer with pintal & tall hitch adapter. Pulled into parking lot so they could go to lunch. started ele air comp on right tire. 30 min later tire @ 20 psi, safety chains on, top chinched down tight & magnetic trailer lights on.
The load of wood prevented me from bringing a gas compressor. Tried 3 gas stations to find air or air machine. No dice, decided to drive @ 20 psi to the QT truck stop 8 miles south on hwy 75. 5 cycles of air machine per side to get tires to 50 psi. The trailer sat almost level & pulled like a dream, even with top up the cummins didn't hardley notice it. Next time I recover something I need to have a gas powered compressor in the bed of truck.
Thanks to the folks here I knew what I would need to make the trip a success.

James

Attachments

Scarecrow1

Just as a additional tip I keep at least 2 cans of fix a flat in case the tires need a little boost like yours did..... It will put them at an acceptable air pressure until you can get to a gas station . Of course provided they even have one ..........Glad your recovery went well ...

JAYHAWK 1962

i have one of thos electric compressors that plugs into the cigarette lighter says it will go up to 325 psi have not tried that yet, slow on the fill and i usually take an air bubble/tank so you are not sitting there all day waiting for the tire to air up.

jimbob1111

Hi,
I would normally have a 5hp service compressor with me, the bed full of firewood didn't make it possible this time. I have considered making a hose so I could use one of the mig welder tanks to fill tires & run air tools while out and about. I had fix a flat, I only use that as a last resort because I'll be the one getting it back out. Then all over me, the shop, LOL