• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Successfully running waste oil as fuel!!

ragedracer

A friend of mine hooked me up with a 55gal drum of light hydraulic oil pulled out of a piece of mining equipment. It's clean and went straight from the hydraulic system into the drum. I'm using a lincoln air powered transfer pump to run it through 2 3 micron hydraulic filters. I was a little nervous pumping it into the tank at first, but did it anyway. I went with an approximate 60/40 mix (60% diesel). Wrung it out this weekend. Took it from Phoenix, AZ up to Bloody Basin, AZ. Elevation gain of about 2000' in a very short period. IIRC, it's a 6% grade for quite a distance. In the past, running straight diesel, I've had trouble maintaining even 40mph in 2nd gear with the throttle to the floor. Not this time. I easily maintained 55-60mph with little effort.

Roughly 70 miles each direction with about 12 miles of that (each way) over very rough terrain with some very steep climbs. My fuel gauge doesn't work right (when buried on E, I can get 17 gals in) so I'm estimating I used 8-9 gallons of go juice. Approximately 16-17mpg. No hesitation, no stumbling, ran as well as (if not better than) straight diesel.

Only downside? It's considerably more difficult to start. It's almost like starting with no glow plugs. And it stinks a little if you're behind it. So far, I'm quite pleased. May up it to 50/50 and see what happens. Saving 40-50% per tank of fuel (with diesel here ~3.30/gal) is NICE!

Anyone else doing this?

(This is in an M1009)

TCUCV

100% vegi waste oil

Does anyone have a step by step of how their doing this?

Anywhere I should look to get advice on running this setup?

ragedracer

Still running fine, but hard as **** to start when cold. Have to crank it for 8-10 seconds before it lights off. Once warm, starts like usual.

Any way to alleviate this? Add a little gasoline to the mix maybe?

rnd-motorsports

I have a guy in mt pleasant michigan I know not a cucv but he has a 6.2 non turbo with 366270 miles on it and has run 100% veg oil for the last 5 years that I'v known him I run about 60/40% in the summer umo and 80/20% in winter with no ill effects and still no smoke and I'm getting on an average of 17.4 miles per gallon I keep my oil change prices below the comp.in the area and have a never ending supply and with the price of deisel then you add in the cost of the oil and :grin::grin: its a no brainer!![thumbzup]

REDWOLF

I am going to start use a mix of used oil and fuel when the warmer weather starts back around here in the spring. I am use about quart of two cycle oil per tank now. Ragedracer could you give me some more info on the pump you are using for the used oil fillter system?

ragedracer

I am going to start use a mix of used oil and fuel when the warmer weather starts back around here in the spring. I am use about quart of two cycle oil per tank now. Ragedracer could you give me some more info on the pump you are using for the used oil fillter system?
This is the pump I'm using. I got it for free or I would be using something else.

It's not exactly economical. 8)

Lincoln 284168 Air-Operated Oil Pump Transfer System

ragedracer

This is not an unreasonable amount of time to crank when starting cold.
When I say cold, I should qualify that I live in AZ, and my definition of cold is 50f. :lol:

When I run straight diesel, it fires within 2 seconds. It's not a ridiculously long cranking time, but I do wonder how it would crank in the 20's....

isaacucv

My M1008 starts just fine in the cold. If its 20 outside I cycle the glow plugs one time and it fires immediatly. Thats with straight diesel though.

rnd-motorsports

if you change your own oil any of your Friends change there own. smaller shops will be your best bet just ask if the have any they will part with some have to pay to have it picked up I have one shop I set up with a 55 gal drum they call me when its getting full so I go pump it down. oil change or quick lube places here normally heat there shops with it so getting any from there may be hard. be careful of some places mixing everything anti freeze and such!

isaacucv

Where does one get WMO? Any tips on how to approach the owner of such oil?
Call local trucking companies, cab companies, mining or excavating companies. Pretty much any company with any kind of fleet of vehicles. If they arent using it for their own heating purposes, they will give it to you. Otherwise they have to recycle it conventionally anyway. My excavator uses 40qts of engine oil every service which is every 4-6 weeks. It has 250gallons of hydraulic oil that gets changed about once a year. If you run 10 gal per week its only 520 gallons per year. That is a drop in the bucket.

SGT Estum

I like the idea behind that pneumatic pump, but MAN is it expensive!

That's the main thing I haven't figured out for my future setup yet -- the pumping mechanism.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks