• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Successfully running waste oil as fuel!!

heavy_308

got me to thinking....the global, multi-billion dollar company I work for throws out(sends to recycle) hundresd of gallons of food grade compressor and light gear and hydraulic oil every month just from our local plant....and we have an onsite pump and filter unit....just have to pump it into clean drums(which we also have) and out the door we go....perfect for an M52 diet. I am kinda getting into this whole mess a little more each day....hahaha:cookoo:

QuickSilver

This idea is really getting me thinking. I drove by the local Shell today, and diesel was at $3.92. Even if I used a 50/50 mix, either WMO or WVO could dramatically reduce my fuel bill! [thumbzup]

Lawrence of Arabia

I ran waste oil, (15 Gallons Diesel to 5 Gallons waste oil), this weekend in my M1009 in 25 to 35 degree temps. It ran, but when I needed to excelerate I could not get out of my own way. It felt as though the oil was to think to move through the fuel system as needed. I am going to retry again when we get warmer temps to see if there is a difference.

srodocker

Deuces love ATF. ran 2 full tanks of 100% ATF last year very very well filtered and it was crazy how quiet it made the truck run and how well it ran

SGT Estum

Deuces love ATF. ran 2 full tanks of 100% ATF last year very very well filtered and it was crazy how quiet it made the truck run and how well it ran
I read somewhere that running modern ATF is a bad idea because it's got something in it that will crystallize at the high combustion temperatures inside the cylinder and gunk things up. Who knows.

WARWAG

got me to thinking....the global, multi-billion dollar company I work for throws out(sends to recycle) hundresd of gallons of food grade compressor and light gear and hydraulic oil every month just from our local plant....and we have an onsite pump and filter unit....just have to pump it into clean drums(which we also have) and out the door we go....perfect for an M52 diet. I am kinda getting into this whole mess a little more each day....hahaha:cookoo:

It sounds like you have the perfect opportunity. JUST DONT TELL ANYONE (other than us of course) WHAT YOU ARE USING IT FOR. Some liberal greenie scum (dont ask me how I really feel about those types) will have that stopped in no time.

WARWAG

I too just realized that our local mine goes thru thousands of gallon of hydraulic fluid not to mention Engine oil. I need to build me a collection trailer and get her set up to pick me up some WMO and WHO. We are over $4.00 a gallon now here for diesel! What a scam that is!

WARWAG

I remember my dad putting in a quart of ATF in each fill up when I was a kid. It killed any algie that would build up and help lubricate the fuel system. With todays Diesel the diesel doesnt lubricate worth a darn and destroys your Injector pump fast. I think a steady diet of light hydraulic or transmission fluid would help preserve that piece of equipment.

Last edited:

Hal O'Peridol

Nice! I like that it's pump+motor in one unit so I don't have to burn up a drill running a sbc oil pump or find some other motor.

It's probably complete overkill for my needs, but I've always liked overkill.

Can't wait to slap down that 20% off coupon... HF isn't going to know what hit them!
I checked out that pump today at HF. States clearly on the box not to use for fuel or fluids other than water.

They also have pneumatic drum pumps for not much more than the referenced pump. That's what I am going with.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just remember boys and girls....we do have a whole Forum devoted to Alternate Fuels

This thread started out as alternate fuel for the CUCV 6.2L and has morfed into something else.

goldwing2000

Banned
I checked out that pump today at HF. States clearly on the box not to use for fuel or fluids other than water.

They also have pneumatic drum pumps for not much more than the referenced pump. That's what I am going with.
Yeah, it says not to use it for other fluids... but so what? I can see not using it for gas due to flammability issues but anything from diesel fuel to waste oil won't have that problem. For $40, why not? And if you're concerned about warranty issues or something, then buy the $10 extra peace of mind warranty and take it back (no questions asked) if it fails.

The drum pump will work but it's going to be slower, noisier and (depending on the size of your air compressor) use more electricity. For me, using a 5hp compressor to run a high-consumption air device to pump and circulate oil just doesn't make sense when I could be using a < 1/2hp motor-driven pump (for half the price) that is completely self-contained and saves the wear and tear on my Ingersoll!

But hey... to each his own.

Warthog... sorry for the thread hijack.

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just remember boys and girls....we do have a whole Forum devoted to Alternate Fuels

This thread started out as alternate fuel for the CUCV 6.2L and has morfed into something else.
Here, here! I'm trying to follow this thread but at this point I'm not sure we're still on the original subject--- alternative fuels for CUCV. So to the point: what are you guys with CUCV's running in your rigs and what works? Mixtures? Ratios? Methods?

Nothing against you Duece guys, I know you can run a lot of different stuff. But some idea of what a 6.2 is capable of would be helpful.