• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Suggested spare parts for M35A2

Cookie

A friend and I are in the process of purchasing a 1985 M35A2 as a SHTF bugout truck. Other than the obvious things such as a spare tire (or three), air/oil/fuel filters and a complete toolkit what would be advisable to have?

It is super clean, new batteries, new rear tires, couple of minor items are new but I need the rear cargo cover and might think about getting the winch (which is missing) after I take care of some other things.

First thing we will do is an oil change which is badly needed as well as look at the air/fuel filters. What is the best place to get these things? Oh, my friend is an experienced mechanic and I will be his gopher/ extra hands.

sandcobra164

Likely overkill but I bring a gallon of DOT 5, Motor Oil, Antifreeze, Gear Oil and 40W Non Detergent oil. I bring grease, a grease gun and windshield cleaner. Spare parts include wheel cylinder, master cylinder and plugs to take the place of a busted brake line or wheel cylinder. In a bugout perspective, I'd keep an extra on board fuel tank, generator set that runs on diesel and I'd have a winch truck. The last thing I pack and wouldn't leave home without is a towbar, chains, airlines, and a buddy driving a similar class truck in case I need to tow or be towed back home. Friends come in handy!!! I'm not a prepper, I just bought mine for parades, rallies and such. However, I do think that I've learned alot about it in the past 3 years and I do enjoy the fact that they run fine on waste motor oil. I've got a local supplier so other than maintenance, registration and insurance, it's a free ride at this point.

welldigger

Spare cv boots would be a must have item. Along with spare clamps for the boots. Also get a few extra dash and taillight bulbs. Since they are 24v they can be hard to find locally.

sandcobra164

A second deuce with a towbar??
You just never know sir!!! I'd hate to pay a recovery bill when I can just be prepared ahead of time!!! I keep the towing equipment on the truck but it's not like I don't drive it around alone. For long trips like the GA Rally which is 190 miles from home, I have to convoy just in case.

mcmullag

you asked about filters, NAPA 3511 is the small fuel filter and NAPA 3512 is the large secondaries, the large ones also need a separate o-ring gasket purchased, I cant remember that number, the oil filters are at NAPA too. Google on your questions or key words and it will take you to a thread on this site, the info should also be in the resources section here.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I carry an IP, trans, rad, U-joints(huh huh, you said joint), filters, light bulbs, wheel studs, wheel bearings, brake line plugs, gallon of dot 5, 5gal water, 5gal oil, turbo, grease pail, brake cleaner, hand cleaner, rain x, de-splined hubs, MANY tools, a cell phone/cb/sw radio.

steelandcanvas

A friend of mine got caught in the carpool lane with a mannequin as his passenger. After the citation was written, he asked the officer how did he know the "girl" wasn't for real at 70 mph? The officer responded, "I've watched you go by here for a few days now, you really should change her clothes once in awhile".

panshark

How about a nice rail mount on your hood to mount your life-sized enduro motorcycle hood ornament? That's probably what you'll be using to navigate the few evacuation routes available to you after your deuce gets traffic-jammed. If I was involved in a dis-orderly evacuation, I wouldn't want to drive something that turns like the Bismarck.

Seriously, I would probably have a 250-gallon tote (plastic cube, surrounded by an aluminum cage) full of non-traditional fuel. Let's face reality: how far do you expect to go on 1 or 2 fuel tanks? Will you have the cash on hand and the time available to sit in line at a fuel station?

Since you're planning on carrying many spares, I think it would be nice to mount a spare to the front, have a heavy-duty tire mount that mounts to the frame (not the bumper), that way you can do some pushing with it and not mess up your bumper. Think about how many SUV's leave accidents unscathed because of their trailer hitches.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks