• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Suggestion for Locking Hubs

tklm539

I know it has been discussed, but am not sure what the final word is. Translated, I did not understand. Could suggest a brand and source for locking hubs for an M35?

I was initially looking at Overson at 595.00. It their a less expensive (but good) option.

Seems like it the truck is going to be on the road most of the time, it might be worth saving for.

Thanks

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
In the world of Rockwell's, there are basically two styles:

The earlier models, made by Selectro. They aren't terribly waterproof, but they are pretty short and don't draw attention to themselves. If you are looking for a more original look, they are a good choice.

The newer style is more heavy duty and more waterproof, they are made by Ouverson Engineering. Their downside is that they stick out pretty far and a lot of people don't like the way they look.

There is a member here who sells them, his screen name is "Hot Rod Deuce". He has good prices and it's always good to support a SS member.

Attachments

FrankUSMC

Has any one tried milling out the center of a set of spare front hubs? The Army had a kit set up like this for the 3/4 ton trucks that were going to be spending most of there time on hard roads. I have also seen this done on several jeeps.
I would only do this on a M35 that was not going off the road in a long time. My father in law did this with his M715. It never went off the road except at hunting season. He kept a good set of hubs in the glove box to change out at the beginning of fall.
One of the few, Frank

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
de-splined or lockouts won't do any good for mileage on a sprag-type because the driveshaft and diff gears will still be turning and that is where the energy is used up. They will help with the 'wig-wag' of the steering when turning. I have been keeping my splined hubs in a box inthe truck just in case a selectro broke, but it has never happened (to anyone as far as I know), so considering just leaving them home.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is probably zero stress on them on road when free wheeling, it's off road that they will be tested... For on road use, they could be made of wood or none at all.. :)

FreightTrain

Banned
Heck,contact some of the big 4x4 places that deal in Rockwells.Most of them carry billet or lockout and sell them installed on axles already for the mud rider bunch.They should have a pile of stocker laying around.

M1009CUCV

locking hubs on m35a2.in the unlock position does the differential still turn and drive shaft .in the unlock position under truck not running you should be able to turn driveshaft freely.not sure what member meant by sprag always turning parts .if that is the case locking hubs are wortless arent they

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yes, sprag trucks do not benefit from locking hubs. The sprag would sense the difference in drivehsaft speeds and engage the front.

But an air-shift would benefit....

sermis

tklm539 said:
I tried that, but it would not go through.
He has been busy and hard to get to. He is picking up a tank the week of the 7th here in Texas and then comming by my place to get some other parts. I will let him know when I here from him.

I got a set of Overson lockout hubs and a single hub and axel for the front drive axel from him for my trucka while back. They are well built.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I installed my selectro's when i still had a sprag t case. Althought the drive shaft still turned it was much easier to make hard turns on dry pavement. Epcacilly in parking lots. The sprag would engage and jerk the steering wheel around on tight turns. Now with the airshift and lockouts i can steer through wal-mart's parking lot with just one arm on the wheel .

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After several phone conversations with the folks at Chuck's Trucks (Selectro), and Ouverson Engineering (the other one), I have chosen the Ouversons. For one, Chuck's Trucks wouldn't sell me just one hub and one axle, even though I told them it was for the rear forward dual. So that stuck me with 2x the cost and a hub and axle I didn't need. Actually, we didn't even discuss the axle, so I don't even know if they have a double-splined axle for a rear axle lock-out application. Anyway, that made the decision that much easier. Chuck's denied any water issues. They told me to clean and inspect regularly, which is true with anything. I cannot fault them there. The guy I talked to at Ouverson sold me on theirs when he described the quality assurance and engineering that goes into not only the casting, machining, and tolerances, but the water-proofing using three O-ring seals. I was impressed. An easy choice, though I can be overly choosy when it comes to purchases. Actually, I get that way with just about anything I buy. I do extend much thanks to everyone at Steel Soldiers for all the help in making these choices!

houdel

M1009CUCV said:
locking hubs on m35a2.in the unlock position does the differential still turn and drive shaft .in the unlock position under truck not running you should be able to turn driveshaft freely.not sure what member meant by sprag always turning parts .if that is the case locking hubs are worthless aren't they
It depends. If you have an airshift front axle and the locking hubs are disengaged, then no, nothing turns. It is just like a conventional 4WD vehicle with locking hubs and a selectable transfer case. With the the hubs unlocked and front axle de-selected, the front axle shafts, differential and drive shaft do not turn. Fuel economy, steering and tire wear are improved.

A "sprag" is the earlier from of front axle engagement. It is an overrunning clutch which automatically engages when rotational speed difference between the front and rear axle driveshafts exceed a predetermined slip rate. Simply put, when the sprag senses that one driveshaft is turning faster than the other, it automatically locks in the front axle with no effort or input from the truck operator.

As explained above, locking hubs WILL work on a sprag shift truck. With the hubs disengaged and the truck in motion, the sprag will engage and the front driveshaft, differential and front axle shafts will turn, so you will not gain any advantage in fuel economy because all that heavy metal is still spinning. However, since the wheels themselves are now free spinning, driveability and tire wear are improved.

Is it worth the cost to install a set of locking hubs on a sprag truck? Again, it depends. The cost of a set of locking hubs is about what you would pay for 2-3 pairs of new 9:00-20 tires. IF you do a real lot of driving, the lockouts MAY pay for themselves in tire replacement expense. The ideal setup would be an airshift front axle and locking hubs, which would improve driveability, tire wear and fuel economy. If you have a sprag truck and want to install locking hubs, you may also want to consider either converting to an airshift T-case, or get a REB kit from Memphis Equipment and convert the sprag to a manual front axle engagement. It all depends on how much you can afford to spend and what you hope to gain from the modification.

Overson vs Selectro? Costs are pretty much the same but, as stated above, the Selectro hubs are lower profile and easier on the eye; the Overson hubs are definitely more rugged and more waterproof; but I have yet to see a posting from anyone who has broken a Selectro hub!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks