• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

suggestion on the word help

diverman555

In Memorial
In Memorial
I think the mods should tell everyone do not use help in your title unless you are broke down on the side of the road. Help is for an emergency's and someones oil pressure gauge not working is not an emergency. I scroll through new post's when I get on and when I see help I stop their first, to make sure no one is broke down by me and needs help. Just my thought's on help.

ABN173

Maybe....maybe not. I can see your point but say somebody has a CUCV as their daily driver, and its broken at home and your stumpted. You need help to get it running so you can get to work right? Maybe title the roadside help request as "ROADSIDE SOS" or similar? Anyway its not my call to make just offering a different opinion.

-Dale

ABN173

I'm with you, "help" just pops into your head because that's what you might think you need. and it could be a hard rule for the mods to enforce adding to their workload. Sure rewording could work:
Assistance needed
Advice needed/ advice requested
problem with...

I'm sure the list goes on...
-Dale

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have asked a few times, to not use bold letters and the word HELP, in titles unless it's an emergency situation.

We all need help, that's why we post on here. No need to include it in the titles unless it requires immediate attention.

I guess we could add this to the ever-growing list of rules. (I doubt that will HELP the matter though)

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the mods should tell everyone do not use help in your title unless you are broke down on the side of the road. Help is for an emergency's and someones oil pressure gauge not working is not an emergency. I scroll through new post's when I get on and when I see help I stop their first, to make sure no one is broke down by me and needs help. Just my thought's on help.
So your suggesting not posting threads titled like this one;
Help, what am I looking for.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In that case, it was redundant to use the word help.

But, to make that thread title even more useful, you could use a couple words that describe what your looking for(opinions needed) in that thread.

Notice, he was a newb in that thread, and said so. I know for fact he is trying to learn how to use this site to the best of his ability, and has taken steps to better educate himself on forum usage. You can't ask for more than that!

ABN173

Here is an idea, how about an icon? kinda like the one for your PM alert but red this could go to the left side block like the "poll" icon. It could be a site rule to only use that icon in real emergencies. then you have a way to mark emergency threads and you are taking word-play out of the equation?

-Dale

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In that case, it was redundant to use the word help.

But, to make that thread title even more useful, you could use a couple words that describe what your looking for(opinions needed) in that thread.

Notice, he was a newb in that thread, and said so. I know for fact he is trying to learn how to use this site to the best of his ability, and has taken steps to better educate himself on forum usage. You can't ask for more than that!
A lot of the threads that start with " HELP" in the title , when it really shouldn't be used , are posted by new people . I think the best way to deal with it would be a forum To post strictly broke down on the road type needs .

ctmustang

HELP HELP HELP-man what did I just do! It's sunday morning guess I'll stop here!:deadhorse:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A lot of the threads that start with " HELP" in the title , when it really shouldn't be used , are posted by new people . I think the best way to deal with it would be a forum To post strictly broke down on the road type needs .

Something like this?

It's been in the works since the Cold War era. Perhaps our new Admin/IT guy will get to it eventually.

Attachments

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it's going to get done patracy is probably the guy to do it . He has worked wonders to the site since becoming ADMIN.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is an idea, how about an icon?

-Dale
For an icon how about a rolled over Deuce with smoke billowing everywhere and flames coming out the stack?

Or just convert Gimpy's pics over the last two years to an icon.

diverman555

In Memorial
In Memorial
I think these are all good suggestions, I just think using help in your title is like if I put in the title
FIRE:
then in the comment box wrote I have fire popping from my exaust when I turn the truck off.
You would see that word and your BP raises. so if we can just figure out a different phrase or sign we would all be better.
Thanks for putting thought into this.

ODdave

Yea Gimp, No wories. That fire from your stack when you shut the truck off on the side of the road is probably just your turbo seals failing and burning your engine oil. Just fix it when you get home.....

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Something like this?

It's been in the works since the Cold War era. Perhaps our new Admin/IT guy will get to it eventually.
I have noticed it before, but I've never dug into it. Would a forum JUST for "HELP" be more appropriate with possibly the banner advertising the fact a new post is in it?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That was the the plan before. A breakdown forum. For actual on the road and broke down situations ONLY.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks