• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Suggestions for a Keyed ignition switch for my new Deuce

houdel

I'll (hopefully) be picking up my new Deuce from SANG in Michigan next Tuesday (3/22/06). Yes, I will post pics & details after I get it home.

One of my first mods will be to install a keyed ignition switch as an anti-theft device (along with a couple of other mods) to keep my vehicle out of the wrong hands.

I'm planning on installing it in series with the hot lead(s) to the standard military power switch, in a relatively inacessable location in the dash to prevent someone who would like to "borrow" my truck from being able to easily hot wire or otherwise bypass the keyed switch.

Does anyone have any suggestions of any make/brand of switches that are particularly suitable for this application, or any switches that I should avoid?

Also, any suggestions for an amperage rating to look for? I suspect the ignition circuit carries a fairly significant current and I don't want to burn out my new keyed switch the first time I use it. I do plan the have the mil switch in the "off" position before I turn the keyed switch on or off just to save the keyed switch from switching under load.

Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks, Lee

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
do a search for M998 switch on ebay. Someone has a key switch for $20 or so. Might be what you need. has the off, on, and start position.... I got pics of one I got (same thing) if that will help you.

area52

When I got my first deuce, it had no mil switch, just a generic iginition switch in its place. So I went to Auto zone and picked up a new one for like $5.00 and replaced the old one and it worked fine. I don't think it carries a lot of current.

twinfiftys

I put in a keyed battery disconnect switch awhile back and it works fine. Located it in the storage box on the drivers side. Not only protects the vehicle from unauthorized use but protects the batterys from any electrical drains during storage periods. Got it from NAPA for about $35.

devilman96

Since you only need a start position I would use Napa (Echlin) PN KS123... Keyed 3 position, (momentary on - off - momentary on) good for 20 amps so the solenoid amperage will not be a problem... 13/16 mounting diameter, 1" long stem so its fairly small and is o ring sealed....

devilman96

Oh... I forgot to point out the keyed switch Im refering to above is to replace the start button, not the acc switch... I figured its easier to get at and only has the 2 wires to mess with...

*amazing how these things always dawn on you later*

Jones

I'm for protection as far upstream as you can get it. Keyed master batt sw, available from implement dealers or mobile home suppliers, inside the batt box or tool box then lock the box too. Protection against sticky fingers and unauthorized joyrides.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go to a local truck repair shop...Navistar...Kenworth...Peterbilt. Ask the parts person to browse thru a Cole-Hearse catalog. You will find anything you need in that catalog! I think you can request a catalog over the net.

jatonka

Disconnect switch

I will try to take pictures tomorrow and get them on list. You can stop by your NAPA and ask for the keyed master switch from their catalog. It is used on Case dozers also. But they charge about $100 for them. Exact same switch. John T

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks