• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Suggestions Wanted! Your Input Is Welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My suggestion is to have a General Chat Forum, for MV or non MV topics, and I have a plan to implement it so it does not cause any problems on the forum.

1. Make specific rules for what is and isn't allowed in there, and make it a sticky.

2. Find a good moderator who is willing to monitor it and enforce the rules.
---I do not particularly want to volunteer, but if it depends on getting the section, I will.

3. Most people I believe read the front page posts. Vbulletin has the option to not display posts from particular forums on the front page, I believe the off topic forum should never be seen on the front page
. Keep the main focus MV related posts. You would only see off topic posts if you went looking for them.

4. As moderators in other forums find innappropriate posts, but not against the site rules, these posts could be dumped in off-topic. Keep the forum clean, but the users happy. Users should be notified that their posts are innappropriate for the particular forum they posted.

5. Anything out of line should be dealt with promptly.

I believe if we had this, a lot of the aggravation on both sides of this issue could be solved.
The main site would stay MV focused and clean, and it would also offer the users to be able to discuss other life issues with their friends and peers without having to go off elsewhere.

Just my 2 cents, but I really believe it could work, 99% of the users here could handle appropriate posting duties in that section.

This is the most mature and wonderful forum I have ever been a part of, and thank you and everyone for providing me with the experience.

Kevin
I've thought about your post and I have to agree. People need a place to "vent" about OT stuff. The people that don't like to read that sort of stuff can just skip over it. Seems like a better way than people posting OT post in the regular forums (which happens from time to time) and people getting "bent all out of shape". SS seems a tad bit too serious as of late.

Last edited:

Crazyguyla

...maybe a little more patience from the "old timers" when answering a Newb's question about whatever . . .

I've seen far to many: "This has been covered many times before" posts. . .

If you feel this way about a Newb question, move on to the next post, or thread, and let someone who feels like helping out post a reply to the question. . .

Ed
I agree, not all people are computer savvy, My wife has a degree in computer science and has trouble doing stuff on the computer (so much for our higher education system). Just because someone is unfamiliar or unable to figure out the "search" function, please no more, "that's been covered already". If the ones out there think some things get repeated over and over like a beating a dead horse, then you should try looking at some PS magazines that cover about a 3 yrs span. There is so much repetition in them, i.e winter pm, summer pm, battery care, tire care... I have been here for a few years now, and I have trouble finding my own post about certain things I have asked about. The amount of knowledge on this site is immense and daunting to someone new. Be patient with the newbies, and if one should know the thread that would answer the question, please post a link instead of posting, "thats been covered before" or "use the search function" I'm done with my rant/ rambling :deadhorse::rant::soapbox:fat lady sings

frodobaggins

Frodo,

Can't we already do that in the chat room and/or PMs?
Yes we can and am glad for it. You cannot have long recorded conversations in chat though, and PMs can't have multiple participants like you can in a good threaded conversation.

I really think my suggestion could work nicely, I'm a former admin on a much larger forum, and we had the same issues as here. We implemented something very similar and it worked out really well. The site got cleaner and more focused, and the users were very happy.

Kevin

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with the deleting of members that have not posted in over a year. Also, maybe add a search feature to the members list.
Bringing back the PS mag to the main screen would help with the newb questions because most of the questions are covered there.
A moderator list under the resources tab or somewhere else easily found would be good. The idea of having your classifieds in UCP is a good one, it is difficult to find and edit/delete the ads you post
How about a section that lets us submit how to articles with step by step pics so they can be available for the next person doing or having issues with the same project.
I also agree, the member locator map should be able to be easily accessed from the main page. It would probably get more use that way.
That's all for now, i'm sure I can think of other things to keep Chris busy :wink:

This site has changed..some of it for the better...some not. It is still the best resource for information and help for the MV enthusiast. I have had the pleasure of meeting easily 20 people through this site, that's alot considering us westies are spread thin compared to the east coast guys, and they all are top of the pile when it comes to human beings. They would give you the shirt off their backs. Sometimes when a sentence is typed, it does not come out on the screen in a post the way it was ment to come out. When we see that, and it makes you feel bent or offended, stop, sit back go back through the thread and re read it. Most of the time, the person reading it takes it the wrong way, the person that typed it had no intention of offending anyone. I guess what i'm trying to say is the same thing Chris posted earlier, just try and give the person a bit of respect, we aren't writers, we are mechanics, dentists, farmers, electricians, students, stay at home parents, whatever. Just try to treat the person on the other side of the screen with the same respect you'd give them if they were standing in front of you.

OK, rant off....for now!:roll:

powerhouseduece

Hell, my aunt works for a printing company and I can get shirts, stickers, sweaters, hats, mouse pads etc.... Chris already knows its just his call. I would even put up the money and do the distribution if he want.... ;)

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Will, all good points! Thanks.

No.2, can you make your font a little more visible. My eyes are straining to see! LOL

Thanks Matthew. We are definitely working on that project again. I may just solicit your help!

eddiec

First, I would like to apologize for my long absence. and I would like to say thank you for not deleting me while I was gone.
Making the locater map easier to find would be very helpful. A place to go when you are having problems with a member taking advantage of other members, in order to get them banned or at least let everyone know would be nice. It does t happen often, but when it does, it sure would be nice to nip it in the butt ASAP.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually I was hoping someone would put a limit on font size in case No. 2Diesel gets carried away again. (Yes, I'm kidding.)

I like the idea about getting the member map up and deleting old members. (No, not that old member, the ones who have not logged in for a long time.)

Maybe some signs/bumper stickers and things like that as I do like to spread the word.

This site is the reason I have trucks now and I like that we can't just go hog wild on it. Just because Doghead doesn't appreciate my humor doesn't mean I don't deserve to have a post deleted.

Great site and great work by all the people who make it happen, yes, even Eric.

:)

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a few thoughts:

I second/third/fourth the recommendations on the MEMBER MAP;

Available Icons:
1. Where's the Popcorn gone???:?:
2. How about adding a SALUTE'ing Smiley? Applause?:idea:
3. I liked that MachineGunner Smiley that someone put up;
4. Other creative/expressive Smiley's, too:-D

Thank you, Mod's, for all of your hard work, outstanding performance and dedication to making this an "Outstanding Unit Award" winner. If it were not for y'all, this victorious supremacy over other sites would not have been achieved:!:

KaiserM109

This isn’t as much a suggestion as a statement of “Thanks”, thanks for keeping SS non-political and giving religious issues an appropriate focus. I will most likely be withdrawing from our state chapter of Military Vehicle Collectors because that did not happen there.

For several years I worked evenings on vehicles in a friend’s shop along with many other amateur wrench pullers. My friend had one rule, ”No Religious or Political Discussions.” I never did learn what his political views were, but I am pretty sure I can guess. I am also pretty sure that his rule kept us friends.

Undoubtedly there are a lot of people on the SS website with whom I would strongly disagree over politics, but I am glad that we can come together, at least virtually, and discuss what we do have in common, OD equipment. The purpose of this web site is not to promote any political or religious view and everybody’s tolerance on these matters is appreciated.

zout

thread

WOW - I am totally a newbie here by all means - was there an administrator here all this time ???? :roll:
Great site - appear to be great folks - appreciate the pm;s from everyone personally all because of "someone" started this - so Hats off - salute - and you most likely know, and other - what and where this site is going to head.

Going for the ride on YOUR site - no one else has my attention.
:idea: I was in the right thread ??
bustin hard to see ya all at the GA Ralley

Numbers

This isn’t as much a suggestion as a statement of “Thanks”, thanks for keeping SS non-political and giving religious issues an appropriate focus. I will most likely be withdrawing from our state chapter of Military Vehicle Collectors because that did not happen there.
For several years I worked evenings on vehicles in a friend’s shop along with many other amateur wrench pullers. My friend had one rule, ”No Religious or Political Discussions.” I never did learn what his political views were, but I am pretty sure I can guess. I am also pretty sure that his rule kept us friends.
Undoubtedly there are a lot of people on the SS website with whom I would strongly disagree over politics, but I am glad that we can come together, at least virtually, and discuss what we do have in common, OD equipment. The purpose of this web site is not to promote any political or religious view and everybody’s tolerance on these matters is appreciated.
For everything there is a place and time. Religion, although it plays a big part in my life, is not a subject often discussed when around others. Politics is the same animal as religion and often causes more conflicts that "we" have to eventually resolve. However, once a year I am involved in both at one of the largest political rallys in Kentucky (Fancy Farm Picnic or sometimes known as St. Jerome's picnic). That is the place and the time. Oh my and it also has some of the best BBQ in the world IMHO.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make a small donation to the site and you can get a decoder ring, Donate right now, and I'll double the offer, that's 2 decoder rings for one site donation. But you must pay now!:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks