• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SUMOMAN'S Recovery!!!!

Sumoman

OK.. First I gotta say thanks to everyone for the advice.

Now down to business. Today I FINALLY drove to Frankfort KY for my M35A2 recovery. The day was great, went to the store for some minor truck items and then it was off to meet Mr. Neal @ 1000. Along the way we saw a guy in a blue shirt smiling from ear to ear as he drove his new truck and generator (I think).. Got my adrenaline pumping!

We got to the site.. was a closed site so basically the truck has sat in one place since the KY National Guard stopped using it. Mr. Neal was waiting and the process was "sign here" and "there it is".. He stated some other things like it should start and check the brakes, really nice guy.. might have been his personality but I tend to think it was because he had his little corner of the world organized and working tip-top.

Batteries were deader then crap.. Everything seemed in place as we checked the vehicle so we got down to the battery issue. So we were about to start getting the batteries out and replace with new when some nice guardsmen stated they would just slave the damn thing (I really think they wanted it out of their lot). A little ether and started right up.

We let it warm up for about 10 minutes while some other buyer picked up his generator and parked in front of me.

Anyway we started off as soon as we had the chance and I forgot to pull it out of low.. fixed that and drove down the lot checking brakes, etc. MAN I got a decent deuce. The radiator was replaced new in July of 08, new generator, belts were new, some other parts I have no idea what they were.. It was great to see all the work. The tires, about half were new, the others had decent tread but will need replacement in a few years. The inside was clean and the body has little rust, mostly surface. I have some minor rust issues with the front passenger windshield. The troops seats in back are new and fiberglass, really nice!

Otherwise it was better then I hoped. The drive back was fine, topped out at 60, 55 no problem. I took my ear protection off on the drive just to see.. thats louder then I thought it would be:-D Anyway we got it home in about an hour, parked it, and tried to start it again. The batteries had charged a little more but not enough to start the truck after we turned it off. More then happy I have it now, time to start thinking about the paint which is first..

:grd::beer::driver::beer::grd:

Attachments

Blood_of_Tyrants

Sounds like the batteries might be saved. First, get a rubber hammer and whack the sides of the batteries to loosen the sulfates then see if they will charge.

JDToumanian

Very nice, clean truck..... CONGRATULATIONS!!! [thumbzup]

There's nothing like the excitement of bringing home that first truck... (note that "first" implies that there will be others!) 8)

Jon

Sumoman

Sounds like the batteries might be saved. First, get a rubber hammer and whack the sides of the batteries to loosen the sulfates then see if they will charge.
I had one with me.. my friend (Airforce) stated that a rubber hammer could fix an f-15 so it could fix a deuce.. Don't really know what he meant by that. I will try that tomorrow. I may just buy a couple of Optimas and change them through my truck every month to insure they stay charged, and my Deuce cannot start for some thief:wink:

Sumoman

Very nice, clean truck..... CONGRATULATIONS!!! [thumbzup]

There's nothing like the excitement of bringing home that first truck... (note that "first" implies that there will be others!) 8)

Jon
Not for some time.. If anything I will save my pennies for a bit.. My goal is bed liner for paint and that be $$$

Jakob

I should have gave you a holler. I was off work at noon on Thursday and all day Friday. Not sure if that'd have made your 1000 rendezvous though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks