• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sunday winching gone wrong...

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That sucks breaking stuff like that. That's why I love the snatch block on my deuce winch.... The weakest link is dragging the truck. Dad and I have a "wall of fame" in our shop above the I-beam with all the things that have broken over the years. If you don't have one now, could always start one. May not be much humor in how he day turned out now, but years from now, it'll be fun to look at and talk about :razz:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, but we put several trees under the track, with my backhoe.

This mud was black sand and about the consistency of mashed potatoes.

I was not the guy that got the excavator stuck. I was the guy they called to get it out.

After about 8.5 hours, we did get it out.
In slop like that you need at least 3 , 4 foot x 20 foot crane mats to hold it up and 2 or 3 more to keep moving with you . Cause it will just vibrate it right out of sight sitin there idling without even digging . I spent a few years working for a pond company , we had a D7 with 1 1/4 cable and it didn't take much to snap it when hooked to a 25 ton dragline.

treeguy

Sorry to see the damage. When viewing the photos, all I could say was "OUCH!!!!!". I hate when toys break, glad you got it out and no one was hurt. What a heck of a way to spend the weekend. What was the operator thinking???????

Mud=Suction=Big Trouble

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Amy will post more pics tomorrow.

We did get it out. It just took some thinking and time.

The machine was sinking slowly and we did call for a heavy tow rig, but they were not available, so we had to make do with what we had available.

At first, there was no easy access to the machine, but when we decided it was mandatory, I brought my backhoe in and cleared a road down to the machine. This was supposed to be a low impact project(oops).

Capt.Marion

I am envious of both your M819 and your backhoe... some people have all the toys. Then again, some people probably also worked very hard to earn the money to pay for those toys, too.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We only used winches. I was holding the little truck in place. He had 2 lines (snatch blocked) pulling.

The broken parts all can be fixed. Nobody was hurt (or even came close). We were as careful as we could be. We took our time and made little steps to get to the end.

I think we all guessed the track hoe weighs around 55000 lbs.

NSCoyote

wow, thats one bleep of a stuck, sucks you broke parts but at least you got it out.

personally when i get to anything in the mud on or the beach it gets doubled up with a snatch block, limits the risk of breaking a bit, im stil lamazed at the damage to the shaft. 8 hours dang, gonna suck for the guy paying that bill LOL

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am envious of both your M819 and your backhoe... some people have all the toys. Then again, some people probably also worked very hard to earn the money to pay for those toys, too.
Yes, my wife...