• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Super cord for a Deuce

shenkmen

When I replaced the cord on my soft top I used the cord listed below. I searched all of the internets (yes, all of them) and it appeared to be the best choice. 3 months and so far, so good.

3961T31 (Same as 3961T3)
Chemical-Resistant Polyurethane Cord 5/16" Diameter, Black
In stock at $1.09 per Ft

Polyurethane Cord— The premium choice. It is non-marring and stands up to oils, ozone, salt water, and many chemicals. Cord stretches up to two times its length and has a good "memory" that prevents it from permanently stretching.

Heavysteven, which cord from McMaster Carr did you use? The EPDM Rubber Cord or Polyurethane Cord?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
HS, Could you confirm the exact part number you ordered and quantity, please?

Did you need to enlarge the holes in your cover, or was it difficult to get it threaded into the holes?

shenkmen

When I replaced the cord on my soft top I used the cord listed below. I searched all of the internets (yes, all of them) and it appeared to be the best choice. 3 months and so far, so good.

3961T31 (Same as 3961T3)
Chemical-Resistant Polyurethane Cord 5/16" Diameter, Black
In stock at $1.09 per Ft

Polyurethane Cord— The premium choice. It is non-marring and stands up to oils, ozone, salt water, and many chemicals. Cord stretches up to two times its length and has a good "memory" that prevents it from permanently stretching.

Heavysteven, which cord from McMaster Carr did you use? The EPDM Rubber Cord or Polyurethane Cord?
Just to be clear that was purchased from McMaster-Carr - McMaster-Carr

Heavysteven

Sorry guys I lost the box I will have to look it up in my order history from McMaster. I am 99% sure it's epdm but I'll know Monday for sure.

Here is some side by side military rope is on the left every pic.

Attachments

cjcottrill

If you cut the larger size cord at a steep angle ( side-cuts will do fine), you can thread it through with no problem. If you need to you can grab the end with pliers, once it is started through it pulls easy. No need to enlarge the holes.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just received an email back today from GMA and they will sell it for $2.50/ft plus shipping.

WOW! I talked to them about a year or so about some and it was 30 cents a foot but you had to buy a 300' roll. That stuff must have went way up.:shock:

joeM62

Whats the differnce between EPDM rubber cord and the Polyurethane cord just wonder which one holds up better? I read the info on the site of mcmaster and it really doesn't tell alot, I got to get about a 100ft of it.

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought a 100' of EPDM 5/16" diameter from McMasters -Carr in July this year. Part # 3937T32. I replaced all the cord on the deuce cargo top and still have plenty left. It worked great. Has plenty of elasticity. No trouble threading it through the tabs on the top. I paid $46.00 for the cord and 6.29 shipping to Orlando. So far it is holding up just fine.

tlessin86

Just find some EPDM oring cord stock. Worked good for our m35. Any good industrial supply store should be able to get it for you. EPDM is nice because it can resist some of the effects of UV damage.

emr

I have 3 or 4 deuce new style vinyl covers i would sell the rubber sets from ea. if interested, I am making tarps out of em because the guard cut door holes in the rear end cover, would sell the covers for 75 complete, they are worth that much i think for sure as an awesome tarp, but will part with the rubbers, the ebay guy says a dollar a foot, i think 25 plus ship is fair for a correct set.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
EMR PM sent

shenkmen

I have 3 or 4 deuce new style vinyl covers i would sell the rubber sets from ea. if interested, I am making tarps out of em because the guard cut door holes in the rear end cover, would sell the covers for 75 complete, they are worth that much i think for sure as an awesome tarp, but will part with the rubbers, the ebay guy says a dollar a foot, i think 25 plus ship is fair for a correct set.
EMR, pm sent.