• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Super Single tire swapping

ericp351

Hi all, asking for a basic opinion. I have a "A2" 5 ton with Super Singles. Looking to keep it safe on a budget. Want to put on new fronts (old ones have weather cracks) and swap around the others as needed. Figure a rear flat unlikely to kill anybody until I free up cash for more tires . Question (finally-) how bad of a thing is it to change rolling direction on these military rear tires?? I try to avoid it on my radial car tires. The military manuals imply they are ok to swap. Thanks!

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not so sure that there's really that big of a difference between blowing a front tire and blowing a rear tire.

I've done a bunch of driving these things in all kinds of conditions. Here's my experiences with blowouts -

1) Passenger side steer tire 14.00. I had another truck on towbars behind me. ~ 55mph on I 70, dry. BOOM! And the right side tilted. Power steering allowed me to retain control and I coasted to a stop on the shoulder without doing much braking.

2) driver side intermediate axle 14.00. Climbing a light grade at about 45mph with another truck on towbars behind me. Slight curve to the right. Dry. BOOM and the tire blew, throwing chunks of tire into oncoming lanes, and strongly pulling the truck left. (This one was by far the hardest to control.)

3) passenger side steer tire 11.00 G177. 58mph on I35 just south of Dallas, in the middle lane. Dry. BOOM and the tire was shreds. I was able to maintain lane control, gently slow down, and subsequently change lanes and pull off onto the shoulder.

4) crested one of the hills on I 25 north of Truth of Consequences at about 55mph in an M936A2 wrecker. Dry. Driver side rear 14.00 blew. I saw the smoke and heard the BOOM at about the same time. No big deal.

5) crested the hill just east of Salina on I70. Same wrecker, same trip, and the godforsaken spare that replaced the tire in #4 blew, with similar results.

Power steering helps a lot. I'd probably still put the good ones on the front.

I also doubt that changing direction makes a measurable difference.

818 Test Pilot

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Saw OIF1 931 super singles sidewalls explode and pass out truck in front couple times. It’s like a bomb went off and the sidewall spins like a circular saw blade forward. Titans NDTz outlast super singles. Again each driver logged in 20,000 miles or more in 9 months. Our company went thru 800 singles and titan ndt’z… and who do you think breaks down the tire rim assy and remounts new tire. Truck crew. Triple A won’t answer the Phone. High heat and loads on tires sometimes are unpredictable even when your preflight is ok. So….. pay attention to tire conditions and psi. Tire tread direction will affect grab in mud and snow but if ya gotta use em.

Superthermal

Do be aware that when changing your tires, many have reported wrong thread direction studs intermixed with correct left or right hand threads. I found on mine that the previous owner had accidentally put the front left hub on the right and visa versa.

To change the tire over to anything new when that time comes, I had a terrible time getting my old 16.00s to brake the bead and come off the rim. On my last three tires, I ended up just using my sawzall to cut the old tire around the sidewall with a dip down toward the rim. This allowed me access with my die-grinder to carefully cut the remaining rubber and the steel bands for the bead. (lots of smoke... don't inhale) The old tire was trash at this point but the process was way faster than trying everything else to remove them.
To mount the new tires was made simple on a split rim, when using some tire lube from Napa.

If your interested you can read my exp here:

Last edited:

ericp351

Thanks to all. I won't sweat changing the tire rotation direction. I too have a crossed over front hub- thought mine was "one of a kind"! Can swap with tires. I don't have many hours seat time yet- blowing a front kind of had me spooked- lot of weight up there. Still will shop for a pair of front goodyears. My fronts are 2000 vintage Michelins. Can donate to my sons old football squad- give em something to flip.

818 Test Pilot

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do be aware that when changing your tires, many have reported wrong thread direction studs intermixed with correct left or right hand threads. I found on mine that the previous owner had accidentally put the front left hub on the right and visa versa.

To change the tire over to anything new when that time comes, I had a terrible time getting my old 16.00s to brake the bead and come off the rim. On my last three tires, I ended up just using my sawzall to cut the old tire around the sidewall with a dip down toward the rim. This allowed me access with my die-grinder to carefully cut the remaining rubber and the steel bands for the bead. (lots of smoke... don't inhale) The old tire was trash at this point but the process was way faster than trying everything else to remove them.
To mount the new tires was made simple on a split rim, when using some tire lube from Napa.

Studs usually have a L or R stamped on end. OIF1 M818 3/4’s of the way to BIAP studs started going south one at a time. Arrived w/3 left. Our communications were Walmart $10 for two walkie talkies. For those in convoy that were concerned I let ‘em know have no problem driving with a missing front tire. Hoo Ha.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I lost a 14.00-20 Goodyear mid-axle on my M54A1. On a dirt road, maybe 20-30 MPH.

Jeeebus, it was hard to keep from letting it get crosswise cause it dug in hard.

Come to think of it, maybe the front axle came online because of the slippage and that is why I was able to get it straight.

I don't want to think what it would be like at 50+.

Last edited:

ericp351

Wow- Plenty of Blow Out Stories! Glad nobody really hurt. I worked on old steamships for decades- some things with big machines can and will never be completely safe- something the Seat-Belt Minivan types may not ever realize. I did mean "flip" as in "Flip-Over" for a Lineman's football work out- not sell my old stuff to anybody if they ain't safe for road use.

818 Test Pilot

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow- Plenty of Blow Out Stories! Glad nobody really hurt. I worked on old steamships for decades- some things with big machines can and will never be completely safe- something the Seat-Belt Minivan types may not ever realize. I did mean "flip" as in "Flip-Over" for a Lineman's football work out- not sell my old stuff to anybody if they ain't safe for road use.
Yup only people directly driving or maintaining Man’s Inventions know the inside scoop. Hoo Ah.

818 Test Pilot

Steel Soldiers Supporter

OIF1 Initial Convoys North had everything rolling including the Kitchen Sink. After leaving Kuwait and entering Iraq was a bunch of miles 3 lane pavement. If you have ever seen a race start 3 wide that’s the way it was. And….. the HETTS at that times with the Army Tanks on the Flatbed with Crews installed. Every time we stopped the Tank Crews would wave their Cannons in a known direction. Note: our 5k jp8 and m818/931 convoy would get passed out by Fully loaded HETTS and we were doing 40mph. A HETT was passing me on the inside I looked over from my M818 Driver Seat and saw an 88M maybe 5’ couple inches tall Female Driver looking thru the gigantic HETT steering wheel on a mission with Tank Commander standing in hatch. When attracted to Steel Soldiers on a certain subject I get involved. Hoo Ah. PS- Fort Cambell HH60 Pavehawk mid-Aired during NVG Training Yesterday. 9 Soldiers paid a Price of Freedom.92571895-CD47-44E6-878D-E746E823AA5B.jpeg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks