• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Super Single?

Lax

Can anyone tell me how difficult it is to turn a standard M35 6x6 into a Super Single? I'm thinking that a Super Single would be much better in the snow and mud then running duelies.

What would be the best tire size? Bigger then the standard tires? No split rims! I want to really make this a snow/off road rescue machine. Thanks for your help. :wink:

Steve

red devils dude

take 4 wheels off :)
you can put 11.00R20 tires right on the stock wheels there slightly bigger
then the 9.00R20's that should be on it good for 4+- more MPH too.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check out your local big truck junkyards for a 6-bolt Budd that takes a 385R22.5 tubeless and run the most agressive tread you can find. Don't expect to get by for less than $3K for a basic set of 6 good used ones. The 425R22.5 Michelins on my 5-ton are right at $600 per, not counting the wheels.

dg

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
LAX,
I am in the process of doing just this. I got lucky on ebay last week. I picked up four 6 lug BUDD wheels with brand new Michelin XDY-1 retreads for $405 locally.

Active Truck Parts in Hudson, Colorado is going to sell me four more 6 lug BUDD wheels for $75 each. Finally, one of our members who lives here in Denver, RandyLBarnes is going to try and help me get two new Michelin XDY-2 (same as XDY-1 but NOT retreads) for front steering wheels and then two more XDY-1's retreads for spares.

Then I need to 'flip' the hubs. At that time I will also replace all the hub gaskets and replace the axle seals. Who knows the last time it was done. Then drain and refill the axles with new gear oil and I THINK I'll be done.

I am HOPING to have no more than $1800 total in the entire setup. BUT I couldn't do it without the help of RandyLBarnes, as he is a diesel mechanic that works for a local trucking company and knows EVERYONE in the area regarding large trucks. He brought over a 6 lug BUDD 22.5 wheel with a tire on it. It looked so kewl.

Then I got four of the eight I'm looking for. And according to Randy, the 27580R22.5 Michelin retreads are a low profile tire. Having said that, they are approximatley 40 - 41 inches tall. The standard NDCC that's currently on my deuce is about 37 inches tall. So I expect it will lift the truck another 1 - 1.5 inches in height.

And they just look MEAN. Scroll down to the bottom of this page to look at the Michelin XDY-1 which is the second to the last tire listed:

http://www.michelintruck.com/michelintruck/productguide/retread/Premoldsbyposition.jsp?position=D

This page shows the Michelin XDY-2, which is the new tire of the XDY-1 retread:

http://www.michelintruck.com/michelintruck/productguide/newprod/TireOverview.jsp?tread=XDY-2

And these tires are NOT cheap. BUT, my understanding is that you can expect a LOT of milage out of these tires, given the 30/32nd rubber on them. Retread or new. Unlike an automobile tire, which is made to MAYBE go 20,000 - 30,000 miles most large truck tires are made to go 50,000 miles or more. That's probably a lot more than I'll EVER put on my deuce.

According to Randy's saftey person, the DOT does NOT allow retreads on the front 'steering' tires. So you (and I) will have to purchase at least two new tires. The rest can be retreads.

Lax

Wallew,
Talk about a small world. I saw those tires on eBay and I thought to myself that someone just stole those for $400! You did real good. I don't have a Duce yet but I'm getting closer. I really like the Super Singles idea because I think it will be much better in the snow and mud :?: . I can't wait to hear how you do with these new tires on. Have you thought about how much snow you will be able to handle with the new setup?

If I flip the hubs on the rear will the line up with the front for tracking? Thanks for all your help. Good luck and let us know how the project goes!!

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I WILL be documenting the whole process from start to finish. From what the truck looked like before. What the hub flip process is like (X4) and what the final look of the truck is after it is sitting on it's super singles.

I don't really know about how much snow it will take. I'm doing this for several reasons.

First, all of my NDCC rubber is really old. Sidewall rot in multiple tires.

Second, I just couldn't pass up the deal on ebay.

Third, I like the idea of tubeless radial tires on this truck and HOPE that it will give it a little better of a ride and a little higher mph.

Fourth, while the tires are expensive, I only need six, though I will always carry two spares. If I stayed with the current setup, I would have to purchase twelve new (or close to new) tires.

Finally, this setup just looks kewl. I really like the large tires. The negative is the wheel and tire probably weighs almost 200 lbs each.

So I am working on some form of small crane to attach to the front of my bed to help raise and lower the spares from the front where I plan a permanent installation. I am going to fab some kind of roll/ light bar/ spare tire holder / tool box / jerry can holder and anything else I can think of. I plan on mounting it in the very front of the bed, kind of taking the place of the front bow for the vinyl top I have installed. The lights will be mounted from underneath and then will have a bracket allowing the lights to be used with the top on or off.

Lax

Wallew,
I really like you plan. I can't wait to see how this turns out. The new tires you got should (I hope) be designed for off road use so they should have rugged sidewalls and can take the abuse of off road travel. Is that true or am I wishful thinking? I know you bbusy but if you could think of keeping me in the loop with pictures, ect. I sure would apprecate it. I'll get you a note with my direct e-mail address. You are going to have one heck of a monster when you are done. Please keep the info coming! Thanks. :lol:

M1075

Super Singles

I have one set of the super singles for sale and ready to roll. The rims are 10" wide, double beadlock, 2-piece bolt together with the inserts. They are brand new, never been installed on a vehicle. I had these custom made for our fire trucks and have been really pleased/impressed with the two sets we are currently running. The tires are 46" Michelin XML 395/85R20 with excellent tread. I'm wanting $395 each if anyone is shopping and has the cash. First PM gets them.

Attachments

Lax

M1075,
I have a one word reply. Holly Cow!! :shock: Those are very cool and look like you can climb mountains with those babies. How do they do compared to the duelies on the Duce next to it in the mud, etc? Have you really tested them or not? Thanks. :p

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1075,
BOY am I GLAD that you didn't post those earlier. I would have been very interested. But as I now have four 27580R22.5's I don't think those would work.

TO EVERYONE,
I understand that if I want to go super singles, I should flip the rear hubs so that the track matches front to rear. I can only 'assume' that it brings the rear hubs OUT?

So the question is, instead of flipping the rear hubs, how about flipping the fronts? Wouldn't that accomplish the same thing? In reading about the hubs, they appear to be the same thing front to rear.

So, as Jim Carey said while wearing THE MASK, "SOOMEBODY STOP ME!"

Where am I going wrong? thx jim

M1075

Lax- That is two words!!!! I have put them to the test and I believe they outperform the NDCC duallies by just about every way imagineable.

Wallew- Nothing new in my post. A search will reveal it has all been posted here before. You want to flip the rears to widen the track. Even then, your track will be a lot more narrow than your bed. See the green truck pic in this post. You definitely wouldn't want it any narrower than that.

Trango

Stock width on the rears is "narrow", based on the stock position of hubs being flipped "in".

Stock width on the fronts is "Wide", based on the stock hubs being flipped Out.

Stock front hubs are "wide" not only because the rears are DRW (Dual rear wheel), but it also gives the fronts about 5 inches that are used for the big ass drum brakes, which are retained on the back of the hubs by the lugs. :)

Bob

TigerHawk

I'm very interested in the performance too! How close are the rear tires from each other? How much are he tires just in case one goes bad?

Thank you,

jollyroger

Also the thing to keep in mind is if you flip the front hubs "in" you have a narrower front track which moves the tires closer to the frame. This may impair your turning radius by having the front tires rub on the frame or other components attached to the frame. This would be accentuated when the deuce twists up and you push a tire into the wheel well. I know it seems like twice as much work to flip the rear hubs but it is the better way to go. :-D

jollyroger

Oh yeah. I am interested in M1075's super singles. I just don't have the $2400 right now. If I get some of my stuff sold I will be coming down to OKC to get some. They are awesome. Correct me if I am wrong but the 46 is as big as you can go and not have rubbing issues.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks