• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Super singles and other tidbits

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First, I would like to thank Bjorn (Cranetruck) for his pictoral on flipping the hubs. It has given me great insight and enough hutzpah to do this one sooner rather than later.

Second, I would like to thank RandyLBarnes, whose truck I saw today. I am actually quite envious, as he got his hubs flipped and his super singles installed before me. He also mounted a pop-up pickup truck camper in his drop side bed. It looks pretty good. PLUS I actually can stand up inside when the top is raised and I'm 6'.

Finally, I would like to thank everybody else here, espescially SS himself and Mike and all the others here who make this happen. I would never have had the guts to actually purchase a deuce without this site.

OH, and RandyLBarnes had a great little cheat about extracting the studs. Mount a lug nut on it, making a flush top on the stud so you don't mess up the threads while you 'pound' them out. As my gunsmithing instructor once said, "If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin".

Adamlee

Wallew's deuce

Hey, by the by, where are you with your wheels and tires at this point? Have you done the hub-flip, and found front wheels/tires to go with the ones you got for the rears?

What did you end up with for tires?

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm vascillating. I have YET to mount the four wheels/tires I purchased. The main reason is I don't know if I HAVE to have new or retreads for the fronts. That and I just can't make up my mind.

And then Randy had one of his tire suppliers tell him he had seven Michelin 12R22.5's at 75% for $150 each. After he comes back from the "Frozen Butt" Rocky Mtn Moggers camping trip this weekend he's going to go over and look at which tires they are and what kind of shape they are in and attempt to do some wheelin and dealin.

As long as they are lugs, in good shape and the guy will come down a little off his price, I MIGHT be interested. If I do purchase them, I'm going to sell the four I purchased for the $400 that I have in them.

On the other hand, if my visit to the Colorado Highway Patrol next week confirms that I CAN use retreads on the front, I may just go that way. So many choices. It's like being a kid in a candy store.

I REALLY like the tread pattern of the Michelin XDY-1's that I got off of ebay, but would sell them in a heart beat if I could find a good set of new/used tires. Cause then I can retread them if necessary, later down the road.

I'll keep you folks informed. jim

SixBuy

DOT says no recaps on the front and most states go with DOT or lose funding. Having said that, I wonder if there are exceptions as to the quality of the recap (A3?) and/or the use of the vehicle? Interested in hearing what they say!

ida34

SixBuy said:
DOT says no recaps on the front and most states go with DOT or lose funding. Having said that, I wonder if there are exceptions as to the quality of the recap (A3?) and/or the use of the vehicle? Interested in hearing what they say!
There is another thread discussing the recap on front issue. They seem to say this only applies to buses. I don't know anything about it so check the thread.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been wading through the mud that is the DOT website. It's pretty bad, as they don't just say.

PLUS, I have read that if it's earlier that 1972 (it could have been 1974), the rules don't apply unless it's for commecial usage.

I'll go by the Colorado Highway Patrol and talk to a buddy of mine. MAYBE we can get some clarification. If nothing else, it should help clarify how COLORADO does things.

I'll keep everyone posted come Monday. jim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks