• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Super Singles Pic

Miltrucks

Super Singles

Well guys - I'll have some new pics up here in another week or two. A couple of you have seen my latest project, but it is a M35 converted to 4x4. M726 maintenance bed installed. And has the super single conversion. Double beadlock wheels and same tires on the way from USA 6x6. Truck is now all done except the tires. Rear hubs flipped, Exhaust moved behind cab, double bumper front, air o matic steering, detroit, new 383 paing, etc. Project turned out nice and a great way to make an up-sized M726. Will put up some pics as soon as I get the wheels mounted.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just looking at the picture...what about off road capability with such reduced clearance to fenders and bed?
Nice 46” rubber, the perfect size for a five ton! But for a std. deuce? …I would lift the suspension 2” and put another 2” between frame and cab/cargo bed!

Gerhard

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rizzo,
Pull out the axle shaft, than the hub/drum assy. Separate brake drum from hub, pess out the six studs and reinstall from the other side of the hub flange. Check condition of brake components, bearings and seals, regrease and reassemble. See picture.

Gerhard

Attachments

Rizzo,

Welcome aboard. You will find a wealth of information on this site as well as from other members. There is a great section for maintenence/upgrades/modification if you look in the Resources section at the lower left of this forum. Be sure and check out the PS magazines that Bjorn (cranetruck) has painstakingly provided. Good stuff!!!
There is an item in the Techinical Articles for the Hub Flip.

Here:http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&func=viewpub&tid=3&pid=1

If you do a search on the subject you will find more.

Happy flipping. (Did I say that?) :lol:

HUSA6x6

Glad you like it guys, Matt is from the Dallas TX area and may be a member here...
He is also running our disc brakes.

houdel

Gerhard's photo is an excellent depiction of a hub flip. What makes this work is that the bolt pattern in each end of the hub is identical - i.e., the axle drive flange bolt pattern to the hub is exactly the same as the brake drum (technically, brake drum extension) bolt pattern to the hub, so the hub doesn't care which way it is mounted, as long as the wheel studs are in the correct direction.

In the single configuration as shown, the wheel mounting flange is to the outboard side with the wheel studs as pictured. In a dual configuration the wheel mounting flange is on the inboard side against the brake drum extension and the direction of the wheel studs are reversed relative to the flange so they are again pointing outboard.

As a matter of fact, the front axle and rear axle hubs are the SAME part number (#10896708), just mounted in opposite directions, so I suppose if you wanted you COULD flip the front hubs and run duals on the front. I doubt you could turn the front wheels enough to be able to steer very well, if the duals would even fit within the wheel wells.

By the way, the wheel bearing cups are the same inner and outer so you do not have to reverse them in the hub. The wheel bearing cones (the races) are different, the inners have a slightly larger ID, so when you flip hubs the inner races have to remain on the inside and the outer on the outside. Also, DO NOT forget to replace the small cork seals in the lock washer keyway, if you don't differential oil will find its way into the hub, leak out through the seals, make a general mess and will probably ruin your wheel bearings also!

carguy455

YUP !

"""Also, DO NOT forget to replace the small cork seals in the lock washer keyway, if you don't differential oil will find its way into the hub, leak out through the seals, make a general mess and will probably ruin your wheel bearings also!"""

Truer words never spoken !!!!!

But then again what the *#@!!&% do I know...apparently I am AWOL !! lol !
rofl

breelanr

Running singles will reduce the turning radius somewhat, but the greatest reduction is achieved by disconnecting one rear axle. This also reduces front tire "scrub" when turning. The easiest way to disconnect one axle is to remove the driveshaft between the rear axles.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks