• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Super tech oil at Walmart?

dc9137

Anybody ever use this stuff? The guy who works there says its made by pennzoil and he uses it in his diesel all the time. $22 for 2 gal. Just curious

MarcusOReallyus

The guy who works there may be right, or he may be wrong. Just because he works in a store doesn't mean he knows who makes the products.

Even if he's right today, he may be wrong next month when Wally World finds a cheaper supplier.

Even if he's right today, and he's right next month, doesn't mean Pennzoil is putting their own stuff in Wally World containers. They may be making a cheapo version for sale to Wally World. Since their name isn't on it, it's no skin off their nose.

Bottom line is, you won't now what you're getting. For the buck or two per gallon price difference, it's not worth it to me to buy no-name oil.

YMMV.

Keith_J

Is is API C rated? It might work. Diesel engine rated oils are all API C for compression ignition. Gasoline engine rated API oils are rated S for spark ignition. Most API C oils are dual rated for limited S service. Not so with API S rated oils.

RayK

The wally world's SuperTech meets exactly the same specs as Rotella and all the other diesel oils - just pick up two and compare spec's. I've used SuperTech since it was available in all my generators, trucks (civvy and military) and Mercedes - never had a problem. Buying the brand names all the extra you're paying for is their advertising budget. The same is true for gasoline - most all gas for any given region of the country comes from one, maybe two refineries. If you go to a refinery and talk with the refinery people, which I did, all the brand names and other brands get gas from the same tanks. The the brand names as they leave the refinery will have about ten ounces of Techron, or whatever, added to 5000 or so gal's of gas. Is ten ounces going to have any effect on 5000 gal's?? It's just so they can advertise and try to differentiate their product and make you think it's worth more. Oil and gas people aren't stupid - they just bank on consumers not knowing what's going on.

Supertech is made by Warren.
True. If it were made by Penzoil I would run away. Their paraffin based oil gummed up the 4 cylinder Fords so bad back in the '80s that it starved the bearings for oil. Personally, I'll stick with Rotella since it's so widely used by the diesel owners and just as economical.

CycleJay

I personlly will no run the risk of fouling up my engine with no-name generic oil
I am happy to pay what I have to for Shell Rotella T.

Just my $0.02 cents.

sandcobra164

Given I get Shell Rotella 15W40 by the 55 gal drum,it only runs me about $11.68 a gal after tax,i'll stick with that.
Well played sir! The oil that is delivered to the base I work at is Rotella 15W40 and if it's good enough for them, I'll run the same. I've never heard anything bad about it and I run Diesel Oil in my older Non Catalytic Converter equipped vehicles as well as I've read it has higher sulfer content which used to be the "antiwear" additive of choice and the newer alternatives are not quite up the the job. That means everything in my yard with the exception of my Trans Am as he still has Cats.

i run the rotella in all my gas trucks good oil.;] i run the royal purple 15w 40 in my red m1008 and so far im impressed.No serious issues it seems to run a little better and it doesnt smoke like it use to.I figure a stock m1008 running at 55mph with 456 gears needs all the help it can get.

85CUCVtom

I run Rotella in the M1009, Castrol GTX in the fiance's car.

For gears I use either Mobile One Synthetic or Valvoline depending on the vehicle.

mudman

What ever happened to Cheveron stuff, such as Delo 400 and such. I have used that oil in everthing from a Ford pinto, to a Pacific 100 ton Belly Dump Truck with out any issues at all.

MarcusOReallyus

Citgo actually produces the 15W40.

http://msds.walmartstores.com/clien...3-9d27-f04a7bed65ca&action=MSDS&subformat=NAM

Always search for the MSDS on a product when you question the source.
The guy who works there may be right, or he may be wrong. Just because he works in a store doesn't mean he knows who makes the products.

I wish I had a dollar for ever time I've heard "some guy who works there said", and it turned out the "some guy" didn't know his butt from a rotten pumpkin.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the "guy that works there" has a PHD in chemical engineering and has box of studies proving what he says I listen to him every time, otherwise not so much.

I use Shell Rotella.

I have found a lot of Made in the USA stuff at Walmart but Citgo is a Venezuelan company that I stopped supporting a long time ago.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks