• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Supercharger

Cosmokramer

I searched but couldn't find answers. I know someone put one on a civy h1, but had anyone put a supercharger on the n/a 6.5? Is there a kit? Does it require a body lift? Any info would help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cosmokramer

I understand the idea of gas conversion, definitely more horsepower. It is definitely more affordable. I do personally want to keep diesel, I do like the low end torque, and I believe the relatively low revs is why many diesels can last long. I agree cummins swap is too much effort. Just looking for other options than changing the engine out to the turbo diesel. I have the N/A 6.5. I know there's no easy bolt on turbo. Just wanted to know if the supercharger was a reasonable option.

3000gt

I understand the idea of gas conversion, definitely more horsepower. It is definitely more affordable. I do personally want to keep diesel, I do like the low end torque, and I believe the relatively low revs is why many diesels can last long. I agree cummins swap is too much effort. Just looking for other options than changing the engine out to the turbo diesel. I have the N/A 6.5. I know there's no easy bolt on turbo. Just wanted to know if the supercharger was a reasonable option.
Not any cheap option that I know of.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You can pick up a 6.5TD powerpack from a dismantler for what you'd easily put into piecing together some supercharger setup. You could even sell off the 6.5 to recoup some of that.

Cosmokramer

Good point retiredwarhorses and patracy. I'm working on the trans swap now, so once that's done I'll drive that for a while and then decide down the road and keep an eye out on a good deal on a TD if I even want it.

RDUKW

Whipple had a kit many years ago. My friend actually did all the testing with his 92 H1 wagon. I believe it required a 1" body lift if my memory serves me right. Every so often you see a used kit come up forsale.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why the **** anyone buys a hummer or hmmwv to go fast has perplexed me for the last 20yrs.
That goes hand in hand with "its wet, it's noisy, it's cold", so my suggestion is still a Prius.

Most folks I know that replaced a motor in there Hummer's with a gasser put in a 502 big block. There was a hmmwv with a 502 at the last MVPA convention.

Carrera911

I don't want to make a race vehicle and I could care less about creature comforts, A.C, water leaks etc. I would never drive a Prius, the fact that I have a Hummer and a Humvee shows what I think about environmental laws. It is however imbarassing that a Prius could walk away from the most badass off road vehicle ever made. Being able to keep up with traffic and cruise at 70-75 is really the only thing these things can't do better than just about any other vehicle.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't want to make a race vehicle and I could care less about creature comforts, A.C, water leaks etc. I would never drive a Prius, the fact that I have a Hummer and a Humvee shows what I think about environmental laws. It is however imbarassing that a Prius could walk away from the most badass off road vehicle ever made. Being able to keep up with traffic and cruise at 70-75 is really the only thing these things can't do better than just about any other vehicle.
I see a lot of Jeeps being towed to the Rubicon here in calif, the reason for that is simple, gearing....your trying to get the best of both worlds, speed and torque out of an off road vehicle. Your problem is not the motor, your missing a 4th gear to get you to the next level, but when mated to a 4L80E, you can do 70-75.

3000gt

Pump the brakes. No one has said they want a race vehicle smh.... we are simply saying keeping up with traffic and maybe passing a prius. Hmmwv look awesome on/off road. Why anyone would settle for a 6.2 blows my mind Warhorse.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pump the brakes. No one has said they want a race vehicle smh.... we are simply saying keeping up with traffic and maybe passing a prius. Hmmwv look awesome on/off road. Why anyone would settle for a 6.2 blows my mind Warhorse.
I have no problem keeping up with traffic in any of my 6.2 equipped trucks..I live in the S.F. Bay Area, where you can't drive 55! As Sammy Hagar says. It's probably just me....I've been driving these trucks for so long both in the military and civ side, it just don't bother me.

Action

are you guys that are boosting power up on these, doing anything to the rest of the driveline or brakes? How long do you think it will take to snap a halfshaft?

BLK HMMWV

I think your missing the part of off road isn't that what the SF-97 said on it

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks