• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Support leg lubrication question

i8boots

Good thing you were as thorough as you were. Whats next on your list? Or is that a separate thread you started?
I have a build/restoration thread up - http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?t=145351 . Once I get these leg parts repainted, reassembled, and lubed I still have to water seal my siding planks, assemble my sides, then look into a custom rack to go into them to potentially hold a rooftop tent for camping.

I also need to investigate fixing the brakes or replacing them altogether. Then, it's on tonyhe next subsystem that needs investigation.

CGarbee

Most auto parts stores have a five or ten pack of zerks...
I tend to get the bigger packs/boxes of them (assortments are really nice) at Northern Tool/Harbor Freight or as add on items to my McMaster-Carr orders.
They basically come in two different sizes (hole/thread) with a variety of angles (straight, forty-five, ninety degree, etc) and are all over most military vehicles and equipment.

Last time that I lubed the rear support leg on my M101A1 (had the leg as it used to be a generator trailer), I hit the pivot area with some General Purpose Grease, and then ran out the leg and hit the threads with some anti-seize... Most of my trailers don't have this leg.

I have dimensions for the racks/bows on my website if you need them.

Good luck!

i8boots

When I bought it it was only missing the support leg in the back and the canvas cover, so I have the bows as well. I just recall not liking the way they sit in the stakes, but now that I think about it, I will need to revisit my opinion once I have my side panels fully finished and back on the trailer.

I also have a vision of having a one-piece rack for the top that has support welding running front-to-back to better hold weight on the rack itself instead of just being a framework for the canvas cover. I haven't seen anyone using the military bows for load-bearing or for anything other than canvas, so I'm not sure if it's worth it to try to restore them as well.

i8boots

Thanks! Reading your profile made me realize I joined exactly a year ago when I first thought I might like to own a M105 and then learned a valuable lesson in military trailer sizing.

i8boots

Quick update: My nipples arrived from amazon, all SAE, and none of them fit! I ran over to autozone, and it looks like the 10mm nipple is the one that's going to work.
I hit the parts with some rust-refomer for protection, and then a light military green.
I also covered the landing foot with a few coats of truck bedliner in hopes that it will hold up better to use / impact.
I haven't greased or assembled it yet, but will post pictures when I get home tonight and take them.

Guyfang

Staff member
The nipple is easy to find, and cheap. If you look at any type of military equipment, you will find similar nipples. VERY common. So if you are going to buy more toys like a truck, then having 10-20 of these nipples in not a bad idea.