• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Surge Brake "CHATTER" ?

SouthwestUSA

I have (last time I looked in the south pasture) about a dozen trailers I've won in auctions from GL in the last 6 months and I've noticed when I'm pulling one of the trailers, during braking with my tow vehicle, the wheels seem to go to lock up, and then free, back to lock up... The chatter is very noticeable on this one specific trailer... All my other trailers are working fine. This has happened when the trailer is carrying a very light load and when it is empty.

Has anyone had this "chatter" problem and if so, how was it resolved?

SouthwestUSA

Thanks everyone... I learned on this one.
When I learned there was a shock inside the assembly, I asked my self "Now why couldn't I have figured that out on my own.." Then I was hoping the shock is re-buildable like the shimney-dampner on the nose-wheel of my airplane, but it looks like these folks can sell you the entire shock. Toledo Actuators | Balcrank Products Inc. Customer Service 800-747-5300 Fax 800-763-0840

I'll get the wrench to my trailer and see what part number the shock is and go from there.

(and if I can figure out how to do the "thanks" feature on this thread, I'll do that first.)

surfdog

I had a M101A2 that did the exact same thing. The darn thing bucked like crazy whenever you braked no matter how soft or hard..

My quick "fix" was to throw a bolt through the hole that locks out the surge brake mechanism.

Now that I know what it is I guess I'll be fixing it....

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks