• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Surge brake lockout safety tip!

Pawnshop

I learned something this week: DO NOT substitute a 1/4" bolt and nut for the proper pin to lockout an unruly surge brake on a M101A2! Tractor Supply sells a 3/8" hitch pin that is 4.25" long for $2.99, THAT is the proper tool for the job. The bolt did the job on a 15 mile trip with an empty trailer, mostly highway with few stops, no drama, but when I got it home it looked like this, I do not know how much longer it would have lasted:

Attachments

JB

Why did you have it in while in use? If it is in the brake doesn't work right? I put a pin in only if needed for backing. But I will go get a pin like you suggested tho thanks.

Pawnshop

I dont't think the issue was so much the wrong grade as it was size. If I had used a 3/8 bolt rather than a 1/4 I think it would have done better, however a hitch pin IS the correct tool for the job.

lexluther

When I got my trailer from GL, it looked like someone had tried to roll up a piece of paper and put it through there for lack of the proper pin or bolt...I previously thought that if you had enough paper it would work...looks like not...

Tymkpr

I looked at my trailer today and the hole you run the pin through seems to be off center and the pin won't go through. Any idea why and how to resolve the issue?

Pawnshop

I need to update this thread: The Tractor Supply hitch pin bent too! Not as bad as the bolt bent, but it is noticeable. I was towing an empty trailer and it bent. I will get a photo and post it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks