• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Surge brakes

avlon01

The only law in MA I can find regarding trailer brakes is they are mandatory for trailers over 10,000 pounds.

Have a link to your information?

first and formost surge brakes are outlawed in mass as far as I know so before you look too deep, check with dmv on that issue

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know things are done "differently" back East, but outlawing surge brakes doesn't make sense at all.
Then again, a lot of things they do don't make sense.

The way I use my trailers, I prefer surge over electric any day.

Curious to read that statue, if it exists.

Chief_919

It could be done, but its not a bolt-on kit and would require a good bit of welding and fab. The best way would probably be finding the surge brake assembly from an M105A3

I converted an M105 to electric over hydraulic using one of these actuators and have been very happy. It ws an easy install, one adapter to hook to the brake line, make a bracket to mount to the frame, and ran the wiring. It doesn't make enough pressure to lock the brakes up but it makes enough to slow the trailer and take most of the weight off the tow vehicle when stopped, although I never did get around to adjusting the brakes on the trailer so once I do it will probably work even better. Going that route is probably a lot easier.

Chief_919

first and formost surge brakes are outlawed in mass as far as I know so before you look too deep, check with dmv on that issue
I just read through the entire MA state law regarding trailers and found no such law. Please cite your source.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agree.
Best, easiest, cheapest way most likely is to find a M105A3 that's being parted out.
They didnt make as many as the A2 so it might be a challenge to find the parts.
I'm looking for an A3 myself.

foxtrk2

sorry not able to quote the law had a trailer with them and went to inspection site and was refused a sticker because of the surge brakes tech said there outlawed so put electric on it if I get chance ill get in touch with him for a specific law he said it had to do with them not staying on once trailer catches up with momentum of tow vehicle or something to that effect

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
sorry not able to quote the law had a trailer with them and went to inspection site and was refused a sticker because of the surge brakes tech said there outlawed so put electric on it if I get chance ill get in touch with him for a specific law he said it had to do with them not staying on once trailer catches up with momentum of tow vehicle or something to that effect
Howdy,

That is what the break-away cable does. The break-away cable yanks up the pin and the brakes lock up.

The same method is used with electric brakes. It has a break-away cable attached which pulls a pin and the onboard battery applies the brakes. (how often is someone checking and maintaining the trailer battery?)

quickfarms

I never trust an inspectors opinion and always get the citation.

You will not be leave how many times they have back peddled on me and said have a good day. Just be respectful

The third chain, or cable, actuates the brakes in the event of a brake away. It is more failsafe than the electric brakes. Air brakes also have this feature, both spring and air over hydraulic.

Surge brakes are dot approved and are currently being installed on new trailers.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks