• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Surge brakes

Nelsonb

Can’t I put a surge brake on my m353, and use the existing hydraulic brake lines? I’m guessing off of an m 101 a2 or another trailer.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Can’t I put a surge brake on my m353, and use the existing hydraulic brake lines? I’m guessing off of an m 101 a2 or another trailer.
In order to have surge brakes - did you plan to move the tongue from the M101 to your M353? Something has to shove the body of the trailer forward to apply the brakes. It is possible I suppose but (without details) is the 353 heavier or lighter than the 101?

INFChief

In order to have surge brakes - did you plan to move the tongue from the M101 to your M353? Something has to shove the body of the trailer forward to apply the brakes. It is possible I suppose but (without details) is the 353 heavier or lighter than the 101?
Ah, thanks; now I know what he’s talking about.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M101 is a 3/4 or 1 ton trailer, the M353 is a 3.5 ton trailer. At rated full load it's about 4 times heavier overall.

Not sure if the brake unit from the M101 would be up to the task. It's originally a Jeep type master cylinder (and still used today on things like forklifts that have relatively small brakes)

A surge brake assembly like this one might work for the task, but I'm not knowledgable enough about the brake system on your trailer to know if this has enough volume/pressure to function properly.

For 12.5k lb gross weight trailer

for 20k lb gross weight trailer

The military trailer ratings tend to be rather conservative as it's a cross country/rough terrain rating, and not a street tow rating.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks