• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Surge brakes

Nelsonb

Can’t I put a surge brake on my m353, and use the existing hydraulic brake lines? I’m guessing off of an m 101 a2 or another trailer.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Can’t I put a surge brake on my m353, and use the existing hydraulic brake lines? I’m guessing off of an m 101 a2 or another trailer.
In order to have surge brakes - did you plan to move the tongue from the M101 to your M353? Something has to shove the body of the trailer forward to apply the brakes. It is possible I suppose but (without details) is the 353 heavier or lighter than the 101?

INFChief

In order to have surge brakes - did you plan to move the tongue from the M101 to your M353? Something has to shove the body of the trailer forward to apply the brakes. It is possible I suppose but (without details) is the 353 heavier or lighter than the 101?
Ah, thanks; now I know what he’s talking about.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M101 is a 3/4 or 1 ton trailer, the M353 is a 3.5 ton trailer. At rated full load it's about 4 times heavier overall.

Not sure if the brake unit from the M101 would be up to the task. It's originally a Jeep type master cylinder (and still used today on things like forklifts that have relatively small brakes)

A surge brake assembly like this one might work for the task, but I'm not knowledgable enough about the brake system on your trailer to know if this has enough volume/pressure to function properly.

For 12.5k lb gross weight trailer

for 20k lb gross weight trailer

The military trailer ratings tend to be rather conservative as it's a cross country/rough terrain rating, and not a street tow rating.