• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

surplus radio

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
They're online and if you can't get it there, I would be concerned about touching it. BTW he knows he's the only game in town a prices accordingly.

papakb

The PRC-148 has embedded crypto in it that Uncle doesn't like you to own. The export version has a non-US crypto algorithm in it that's OK. That's the one you want to look for. They show up on the auction sites occasionally for high dollars.

Kurt
KG6KMJ

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
PRC-6809 is the clear (non-type 1) export version of the PRC-148 MBITR. They're pretty rare. Direct from Thales they went for about $5800 a few years ago. When MBITR crypto modules are removed it renders the radio inoperable. I wouldn't touch a working MBITR on the private market. You can be almost sure it's stolen.

ke5eua

I know the general area we lost a 148 but not to sure it's still there. Been a few years ('06), and a couple IED's later.

I second sigo, a working 148 is asking for trouble.

Couple years ago I came across a RT-1439 sincgars with all the modules still in it on that famous auction site. Came real close to buying it but that little voice inside my head, (my battle buddy), told me it was probably a bad idea and I didn't need CID knocking on my door.

Every now and then you will see 1439's with the crypto module removed and those are good. Remember, DOD crypto bad for civi unless you have proper paperwork, but if you had that you would already have the radio.

You can get the older Mobat Micom Manpack, it resembles the singars but only does 1.6-30 MHz. Those can be found in the 5-10K range.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RT-1439s are good to go. There are no crypto modules to remove. The 1439 is the non-icom SINCGARS. They required a KY-57 or KY-99 to operate encrypted. You're probably thinking of RT-1523s. 1523B/C/E/F have integrated crypto modules and are required to be demilled. Fortunately the cryptographic card can be removed and the radio will still function.

Last edited:

whiskey357

Banned
Go to radio shack and get a nice 40 channel SSB radio or a Ham 100 watt rig work great and has same freq range....lots less money.....or army navy store

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
.Gov doesn't mess around with Type 1 crypto.

Had a guy on another forum YEARS ago try and ID a part # that wasn't listed anywhere. It wasn't listed because the part # was a restricted gov only item.

Those of us who knew, told the guy it didn't exist *wink*, don't mess with it, burn it in the fire, etc... Apparently a very common /\/\ radio had been surplussed out, and wasn't demiled properly, leaving a Type 1 crypto board in place.

He called Motorola wanting to know what it was, and Motorola said the same thing 'Doesn't exist, BTW, where did you get it?'..

No one would help him, and we kept telling him to destroy it... He wouldn't.. Then he started asking about keyloading it, then finally said he was gonna sell it for a good profit since they 'don't exist'...

Again, we warned him.. Don't mess with this stuff... and we thought it got through to him..

He disappeared for a couple of weeks..

Apparently, he didn't listen, tried to sell it, then had his door was kicked in @ 3am by the FBI, took all his gear, wanted to know who we was working for, how he got his hands on classified material, etc.

Stupid thing is, the classification of the device changes depending on if a key is already loaded or not.

I wouldn't touch any current/recent .mil gear if I even suspected that Type 1 crypto was used on it.

I found a DMA strategic analysis map of Iraq, Circa Desert Storm, on a CD, when I bought a used computer about 10 YEARS ago... Figured I'd turn it into CID.. Holy mother of God, you'd have thought I was trying to break into Fort Knox. 100 Questions about where I got it, if I had looked at the information, who I shared the information with, etc. and this was just some hi-res sat photos...

Just some insight from a 'been there, done that' guy.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see bits and pieces of SINCGARS sets at Murphy's, Fair and Ebay. Has anyone ever pieced one together? Sounds like it's not worth the trouble.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks