• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Survival 109 build

turnkey

This is what I call a labour of love...Great build..Lots of good input and ideas for different type of add ons...Thinking of one for our rig...Again thanks for the imput and pics......But how do you mount solar panels to a 2 man pup tent?????

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is what I call a labour of love...Great build..Lots of good input and ideas for different type of add ons...Thinking of one for our rig...Again thanks for the imput and pics......But how do you mount solar panels to a 2 man pup tent?????
Thanks turnkey. Upgrade to a hardtop pup tent. [thumbzup]

zout

QUAD - you know sooner or later you just have to stop working on it and enjoy the hard work right ???

Project is looking good brother. Keep posting up pictures of your work - but PLEASE take it out and enjoy it.

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
QUAD - you know sooner or later you just have to stop working on it and enjoy the hard work right ???

Project is looking good brother. Keep posting up pictures of your work - but PLEASE take it out and enjoy it.
Thanks zout. Yes I do want to enjoy it but need to finish it first! At least mostly by the GA Rally in Oct.

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Made some advancements today on the build. Cut out and installed two layers of foam board and a sheet of plywood in the forward third of the floor. Cut the other two sheets of plywood, will be going in soon. Cut out the rusted rear floor and replaced with sheet metal. Crossmembers good and solid. Also got some cabling done on the batteries. Still need to run the inverter cables. At least I have lighting and solar charging again. Will be getting the last two batteries this coming week. Would like to add up to 4 more, but have to see if they are really needed and also would need a place to put them.

Attachments

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Enjoying this thread a lot. Where did you relocate the air tanks to?

Getting some great idea for when I decide to rebuild mine after what I have seen and learned to do better for the next time.

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Enjoying this thread a lot. Where did you relocate the air tanks to?

Getting some great idea for when I decide to rebuild mine after what I have seen and learned to do better for the next time.
Glad you like B_C. Have not reinstalled the tanks as of yet, will fit under the battery compartment. Still well protected as the aux. fuel tank and the main tank are well below the new air tank location. Plus, if need be, I can add a skid plate from one set of fuel tank brackets to the other.

zout

QJ - just a question for you. Are you running deep cycle's or regular 31's for batteries. Are they Glass Matt and how many AH's are each of them ?? Hard to tell by the pictures but it looks like a great set up.
Was just curious as to the inverter going to be used as to what AH rate you'll charge them being one or the other TYPE of battery.
Once you switch to battery power - how many amps will your set up be drawing from them ?

Looking good.

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
QJ - just a question for you. Are you running deep cycle's or regular 31's for batteries. Are they Glass Matt and how many AH's are each of them ?? Hard to tell by the pictures but it looks like a great set up.
Was just curious as to the inverter going to be used as to what AH rate you'll charge them being one or the other TYPE of battery.
Once you switch to battery power - how many amps will your set up be drawing from them ?

Looking good.
Looks like five questions Z! It's all good. :wink: Batteries are deep cycle AGM's. I believe 210 AH. Using a 2K - 4K pure sine wave inverter. My solar controller regulates the charge rate on its own after I set it for the battery type and AH rating. It does PWM charging to keep the batteries from "taking a set" to a continuous charge rate. Also can charge when connected to shore power through the converter. It is max 55 amps. Amp draw varies depending on load. If just using the fridge, about 7 amps while it is cycled on. If using the AC, it can be as much as 32 amps while the compressor is running. With the fridge and AC on all night, solar has batteries up to 100% by mid morning.

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was able to mostly finish up what I started yesterday today. Wired up the inverter cables into the battery compartment and made a minimal cover/lid for that. Still need to devise a battery holddown system to keep them in place during a tip over. Don't want all of that amperage getting loose back there. Finished cutting and installing the floor insulation panels and also the floor plywood. Nothing fastened down yet, but the hard part is done. Floor feels good and solid even with two 3/4" sheets of foam under the 3/8" plywood. Thought it might be squishy. Also pre cut out the metal floor for the tub drain trap, kitchen sink drain and the air conditioner drain. My radio was a slight casualty as a chunk of wood flipped out of the fan and into the speaker.

Attachments

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picked up my last two batteries yesterday, charged them overnight and installed them this afternoon. Should be all I need for now, may add up to four more much later, but doubt I need to.

Attachments

Jeepsinker

Pretty impressive charge time there. What panel setup are you running again? Several 100W panels right? What system voltage on the solar charge side? 24v right?

I remember you built your own panel brackets, just don't remember the other stuff.

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pretty impressive charge time there. What panel setup are you running again? Several 100W panels right? What system voltage on the solar charge side? 24v right?

I remember you built your own panel brackets, just don't remember the other stuff.
Thanks. Using four 250 watt 36 volt panels.

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the plywood floor mostly screwed down this morning. Drilled and installed about 130 screws so far. Ugg. Also picked up my new front tires and used A3 wheels today. Bought two new Michelin XZL 365x85 20's and two wheels for them. Never been run, no weathering and dated 2010 and 2011. I need to find a source for the wheel o-rings and also standard valve stems to replace the pipes for the CTIS.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks