• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Survival 109 build

Your build is coming along very nice.

Having been a cabinet maker in the past I have one suggestion. Reinforce the back of the drawer guides where they attach. They are not very strong and houses don't go over speed bumps.

The best way is to cut some spacers to stand up behind the side of the guides and screw the guides to it. They will work fine the way they are if the drawers are light. But I find that our drawers get crammed with heavy stuff like tools and flashlights.

Keep the pictures coming I love your project.

John

Last edited:

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Having been a cabinet maker in the past I have one suggestion. Reinforce the back of the draw guides where they attach. They are not very strong and houses don't go over speed bumps.

The best way is to cut some spacers to stand up behind the side of the guides and screw the guides to it. They will work fine the way they are if the drawers are light. But I find that our draws get crammed with heavy stuff like tools and flashlights.

Keep the pictures coming I love your project.

John
Thanks John. Have reinforced the cabinets, but not such as you recommend. Will see what I can do.

Another Ahab

Having been a cabinet maker in the past I have one suggestion. Reinforce the back of the draw guides where they attach. They are not very strong and houses don't go over speed bumps.

John
That is a real good point that can't be argued.

I mean outside of a 7.2 on the Richter Scale.

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got a full day in today on the truck. Figured I'd test my generator to see how long it would run with the AC on continuously. Nearly 6 hours. Not too bad. At night would make it 8+ hours I think. Gen has a 30 amp RV outlet. My Honda gen only has 20 amp outlets. Finished installing and then painted the seat/bed frames this morning, then finished cutting the plywood and got that painted. Tub and apron I ordered came via Fex Ex about noon. I like it. Good finish and seems to be decent quality. Placed the tub fairly close to where it will be. Now I can reinstall the bathroom wall to fit the tub. I can stand in the tub for a shower with about 2 inches of head room.

Attachments

UncleCumpy

Hello I'm a new member. Wanting to build a 109 camper. I saw Lowtech on expo portal and have been hooked. I see you ride dual sports too. I'm looking to build a motorcycle camper. Gonna read your whole thread I got to page 7. You do great work. No half ass shortcuts. That's really the key. Build it once to not break. I'll be following and asking questions all through these builds. Thanks for sharing. Cheers.
Lane

I worked at Sea Ray in Merrit Island 6years assembling boats doing 12v wiring. You do production quality work. Just read some more.

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello I'm a new member. Wanting to build a 109 camper. I saw Lowtech on expo portal and have been hooked. I see you ride dual sports too. I'm looking to build a motorcycle camper. Gonna read your whole thread I got to page 7. You do great work. No half ass shortcuts. That's really the key. Build it once to not break. I'll be following and asking questions all through these builds. Thanks for sharing. Cheers.
Lane

I worked at Sea Ray in Merrit Island 6years assembling boats doing 12v wiring. You do production quality work. Just read some more.

Thanks, glad you like Lane. Nothing special here, just trying to build a low cost (?) cabin on wheels. Once you get into your build, start a thread, like to see your idea's as well.

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did a lot of little stuff yesterday and today. Hence not many pics. Took my AC unit apart and tried to reinforce it for road vibration. Not too sure it helped. Pretty flimsy design, even for stationary use. Did some more cabinet reinforcements and also made the first of seven drawer catches. I used door catches installed at the rear of the drawer, seems to work well and automatic, nothing to forget. And also hidden. I cut out my cooktop counter for the induction top and refinished it as well. I like the built in look and not having to put it away every time I run down the road. Plus the cord is out of the way. My gas stove fits on top of it for when I need to use it. The induction cooktop works fine off of my 12v - inverter system and is much faster than the gas stove. Plus no heat from it, just the pan. Picked up some IR lights today as well as some turn signal brackets, mocked them up to see how they look. Will have a hinge and latch for the left one so I can open the left hood drop down panel.

Attachments

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some of todays projects included insulating the AC discharge duct, runs quite hot with it running. Also installed the drain hose for the AC unit. Roughed in the under seating area panels and the one along side of the AC unit. Finished installing the drawer catches and drawer reinforcements. Finally got the bathroom reframed and the tub location set.

Attachments

Another Ahab

Some of todays projects included insulating the AC discharge duct, runs quite hot with it running. Also installed the drain hose for the AC unit. Roughed in the under seating area panels and the one along side of the AC unit. Finished installing the drawer catches and drawer reinforcements. Finally got the bathroom reframed and the tub location set.
The floor looks really good. It sure doesn't look like old standard red oak or anything.

I lost track now, but it that one of those 3/8" thick "floating" floors?

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Minor mid week project and idea. Installed the upper AC unit brace, foam and rubber isolated for vibration. Also woke up last night to the thought of using a stainless mixing bowl for my bathroom sink. So I got up and checked what I had. Settled on this approx. 9" bowl. Mocked it up this afternoon with the commode in place, seems to be workable. Have a left over piece of countertop that I can make work, and will need to get a single hole faucet and a drain. Will see this weekend how well I can plasma cut the stainless for the drain hole.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks