• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Survival 109 build

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like your starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel , nice work !
Thanks, but a very dim light. Lots to do before the Oct. Rally! Finish bathroom, finish cab pass through door, make a table, make an under sink kitchen cabinet, trim out the interior woodwork, find a spot for my grey water tank, fresh water plumbing and hot water heater, convert the brakes to dual circuit and add larger A3 wheel cylinders, get the rear frame extension welded on, build the enclosed deck for the rear, motorcycle rack, list goes on and on. Ugg.

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, I need an opinion or three. Good, bad or otherwise. Mocked up my water cans, 7 total on the front fenders. I'm planning on making some slide out racks to mount the cans. How does it look? Really dorky? Stupid? Passable, workable? Dumb idea? Speak up.

Attachments

theeDIZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a "survival build" not meant to be pretty, put them wherever works best for you . I do agree with above statement though , not sure if those fenders will hold up under the weight . Keep up the good work !

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a "survival build" not meant to be pretty, put them wherever works best for you . I do agree with above statement though , not sure if those fenders will hold up under the weight . Keep up the good work !
Will be max of 195# on the left side, less on the right. My 200# on the fender doesn't seem to be an issue. Did think of bracing them though. Not sure yet on that.

Last edited:
Only because you asked, I looks dorky. But in a military vehicle looks don't count we are after function. Have you thought about a rack over the cab? I personalty like the bumper extension idea if you could still get into your yard.

I have really enjoyed your build thread, your work is impressive.

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only because you asked, I looks dorky. But in a military vehicle looks don't count we are after function. Have you thought about a rack over the cab? I personalty like the bumper extension idea if you could still get into your yard.

I have really enjoyed your build thread, your work is impressive.
Cab over bunk in the future, so that won't work.

Another Ahab

The issue of the Jerry Cans brings up images of WWII North Africa.

Wonder if the there's a way to rack them up over the cab? Would it work for you?

Maybe stow them up there empty for a photo to see how THAT looks, just to compare one set-up over another (it's tough because you never really know until you actually see it, you know?).

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The issue of the Jerry Cans brings up images of WWII North Africa.

Wonder if the there's a way to rack them up over the cab? Would it work for you?

Maybe stow them up there empty for a photo to see how THAT looks, just to compare one set-up over another (it's tough because you never really know until you actually see it, you know?).
See previous reply, planning on a cab over for extra bunk space in the future. Plus not wanting to add that much weight up high. Even the approx. 240# of solar panels on the roof was noticeable on the road.

icecreamman

Just my 2c, Our fenders were designed for a soldier to sit on them and repair the engine while the vehicle is sitting still. My dad weighed 135# in the USAF in 1953 and I would compare him to average back then. I weighed 183# at 6'1 at the MEPS in 1986 and am still the same today. The only problem is that the pear was standing on the stem end then, now sitting on its base:(

I would not put 200# of water on a front fender for a long time, especially mobile.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks