• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Survival 109 build

red

Why not spread them out to reduce the weight on the fenders? Say 2 per fender, one hanging from each rear mudflap, then the last 2 secured to the steps under the cab.

m109a2

I have heard of guys mounting jerry cans on mudflaps,in front of battery box and tool box but some of these can holders had a hinge just unstrap it remove can swing 180% and there you are.Just a thought 40 pounds a can on a fender x ? I feel this would be problematic,I have a m35a2cw/w and a 109 box on a m35 frame mated with 105 lunette that I drag behind me.Now that being said I know how overloaded that front end is and 395 x20 on top of that wow I smell a lot of front drive damage I hope I am wrong but I have finished my last beer so good luck to you sir .Al

m109a2

Into the wifes tater juice now but great build by the way stole some of your ideas but I would like to know how you mounted your boarding ladder.Al give me a call 337-477-1067 anybody got any ideas?Al

59apache

Chipmaker
P1010005.jpg
With my shelter loaded i got
2,78 to. 6.128lbs on the front axle
4,78 to. 10.538 on BOTH rear axles
at a total of
7.48to. 16490
only 2 heavy batteries (~ 200lbs) in the front of the shelter, empty watertank, big overhang in the rear
1 full fueltank
M35A2c WITHOUT winch.....

According to my data plate:
20150809_083300.jpg

I'm on the limit with the front axle

Last edited:

rustystud

028.jpg027.jpg052.jpgI looked at the fenders and from what I see they will not hold that weight for long. They are only held in place by a few 5/16" bolts which go into 12 gauge sheetmetal. I know you think you have to much weight in the back, but have you actually weighed it yet ? I mounted my 2 cans to the rear mudflaps and they work great. I know you want 6 more then that though. Probably time you looked into a M105 trailer. A mule will haul a lot of weight, but eventually it will just set down and refuse to move. Have you asked your deuce about all this weight ? :???::???: LOL ! Seriously though, think about a trailer.

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have heard of guys mounting jerry cans on mudflaps,in front of battery box and tool box but some of these can holders had a hinge just unstrap it remove can swing 180% and there you are.Just a thought 40 pounds a can on a fender x ? I feel this would be problematic,I have a m35a2cw/w and a 109 box on a m35 frame mated with 105 lunette that I drag behind me.Now that being said I know how overloaded that front end is and 395 x20 on top of that wow I smell a lot of front drive damage I hope I am wrong but I have finished my last beer so good luck to you sir .Al
I am also building up a 105 with an S250 but want extra on the truck as well. I don't have a winch so that weight can go towards the water. ( ?) :)

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Into the wifes tater juice now but great build by the way stole some of your ideas but I would like to know how you mounted your boarding ladder.Al give me a call 337-477-1067 anybody got any ideas?Al
Currently using the stock ladder brackets, will be incorporated into the rear deck once built.

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 574541View attachment 574542View attachment 574543I looked at the fenders and from what I see they will not hold that weight for long. They are only held in place by a few 5/16" bolts which go into 12 gauge sheetmetal. I know you think you have to much weight in the back, but have you actually weighed it yet ? I mounted my 2 cans to the rear mudflaps and they work great. I know you want 6 more then that though. Probably time you looked into a M105 trailer. A mule will haul a lot of weight, but eventually it will just set down and refuse to move. Have you asked your deuce about all this weight ? :???::???: LOL ! Seriously though, think about a trailer.
Trailer in the works as well. 105 with an S250.

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
how many persons do you plan for?
In case of emergency , 46 gallons are enough. If you use it only for drinking....in regular use it's also enough. You can fill up everythere.
I see the problem in keeping more water drinkable...
Normally 2, up to four. I do have several types of purification as well. Got to have enough safe water. I have over a thousand gallons here at home. Can't take with though.

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So after reading the various opinions and feedback, I think I need to rethink my thoughts. The general consensus is that it is too much weight and or mass on the fenders. So I may go with rustystuds method and install a can on each mudflap, and also could put one on the passenger side step. Need to find a flip out can holder for the step and two solid mount ones for the flaps. Rest of the cans I guess will eventually end up in the 105. Thanks for all of the input.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks