• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

suspended GL account

time4wine_again

Before I get into the meat of this post, I'd like to thank SS (and members). As a prior non-MV owner, I used the info here several times for help on an old chevy truck! THANK YOU!
This past May the wife gave me blessings to buy a M35. So I start shopping at GL. I don't know about you guys, but I can get distracted quickly on that web site. This time was no different. Instead of buying a deuce, I bought a M447C electrical repair shop w/folding sides and air conditioning! **my theory was to use it as a hunting/fishing cabin** After a EUC wait of about 93 very nervous days and the joys involved to get it from Alabama to Indiana, my new toy came home. When I opened the back door it better than any Xmas I ever had. The thing was packed full of GOODIES and TOYS!!! **even my wife smiled :)
Within 3 days I had bought another one from GL. This time we were smoother at fillling out the EUC. 5 days after the sale ended, we got the "EUC sent to Battle Creek" confirmation email. I really was thinkin everything is cool, I should be approved by next week and it should be home by the end of the month. Of course I was wrong.
When I tried to log onto GL yesterday morning, it said my acount was suspended and call customer service :( In a nut shell, I was told I suspended because I didn;t wire my payment / I lost my lot / and I would remain suspended until I paid them 25% of my winning bid!!! For last 4 years of buying from them I've always paid with credit card. There was plenty on the card, they never ran it. They are saying my account was set up for wire transfer payment, but don't have any of the documentation that I would have submitted to do so (documentation required per the Terms and Conditions Sect. 6, para G, item 3). I sent an email requesting a review of my suspension (their suggestion) and called trying to talk to who is doing this review. They acknowledged they received my email and said it would take 3 days at least for a decision. I've bought a lot of stuff from GL and never had a problem until now. It's almost starting to feel like a shakedown.
So, my questions for everybody are simple.
Has anybody had their GL account switch from credit card to wire transfer or account suspension similiar to mine?
Anybody had had one of these "reviews" turn out favorable??
Thanks to all that reply.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had simular issues. Not changed to wire transfer, but the CC not being charged.

I am afraid you have lost the item but if you raise a big enough stink they will "forgive" the default fee. I have done this a couple of times.

But what ever the outcome, the item is gone and will be relisted. Sorry.

Kohburn

sounds like how they lost my paperwork by attaching it to someone elses file by accident.

they seem to also have a lot of cases of them never attempting to charge a credit card and then claiming you never paid.

because of the horror stories I was ontop of them ever step of the way making phone calls whenever something didn't show up the next day and long before their listed deadlines.

Chief_919

I have had simular issues. Not changed to wire transfer, but the CC not being charged.

I am afraid you have lost the item but if you raise a big enough stink they will "forgive" the default fee. I have done this a couple of times.

But what ever the outcome, the item is gone and will be relisted. Sorry.
I also have had the same problem. It is a common Government Liquidation issue.

As said, if you raise **** and threaten to contact your congressman and the DLA inspector general, they will "be nice" and waive the default fee.

One of two things is going on here. Either they have hired a special education class to manage the portion of their operation that handles payments, or they are doing this intentionally- or letting mistakes happen in a system they know is flawed knowing they will.

It stands to reason that they gain. A certain percentage of people they default will pay the fee. This is 100% free and clear profit- they just got 25% more for the same lot, because they will sell it again. They don't care how long it sits on the lot, they don't pay rent on the space.

I have heard this from too many people for it to just be a fluke. It has to either be intentional or Government Liquidation is the most incompetent company in the nation.

I know for a fact in my case when they claimed they had attempted to charge my card it was a lie. The money was there to cover it, and my bank investigated and said with 100% certainty that they had never attempted a charge.

They kept claiming my card was declined. I know from taking cards at my shop that when a charge is declined it generates a transaction number just like a charge that goes through does. I requested this number.

Government Liquidation "management" told me a flat out lie in emails and on the phone that thier system does not generate a transaction number for a declined transaction. I was 99% sure it was a lie when they told it, and called Visa and confirmed that it was a lie.

Then they tried to say that I may have entered my billing address wrong and it didn't match so it got turned down. Two problems with this lie from Government Liquidation- first is that I used the same card and address entry I did when I paid for the previous lot, and the next one, so it works as it was entered. Second is that my bank and Visa confirmed an address mismatch will show up on my account as an attempted transaction and generate a transaction number.

Demand proof you changed to wire tarnsfer, and the exact dates, and demand that they reverse the default fee or you will contact the DLA inspector general.

I bet they back down. They know they are wrong.

After that, I had them place a note in my account that they were not to charge my card after I won a lot until I got on live chat and authorized them to do so. Now when I win I go on there, tell them to make the charge, and then email the transaction of the chat to myself for proof.

time4wine_again

If I'm wrong on this please say, but my invoice doesn't say paid until after EUC approval.
Using their own system, I had no way of knowing there was a problem. My account wasn't suspend until 2weeks (aprox) after the sale had ended. They even accepted my EUC 5 days later with no indication of a FUBAR.
Do you think I have any legal basis for breech of contract?
"Credit cards submitted online will automatically be charged the full amount of your purchase (including buyer's premium and taxes)"
They had my card info.
"A 'Spot Sale" is an Agreement between GL and a Buyer that GL will deliver a specific property to the Buyer"
They advertised an item, I provided all that was required per the Terms, I won the auction, due to the neglect of GL employees they
didn't charge the account. All I want is my trailer. I fully understand simple mistakes can be made. But I don't
understand why people don't correct them.

Chief_919

If I'm wrong on this please say, but my invoice doesn't say paid until after EUC approval.
Using their own system, I had no way of knowing there was a problem. My account wasn't suspend until 2weeks (aprox) after the sale had ended. They even accepted my EUC 5 days later with no indication of a FUBAR.
Do you think I have any legal basis for breech of contract?
"Credit cards submitted online will automatically be charged the full amount of your purchase (including buyer's premium and taxes)"
They had my card info.
"A 'Spot Sale" is an Agreement between GL and a Buyer that GL will deliver a specific property to the Buyer"
They advertised an item, I provided all that was required per the Terms, I won the auction, due to the neglect of GL employees they
didn't charge the account. All I want is my trailer. I fully understand simple mistakes can be made. But I don't
understand why people don't correct them.

Because they have a monopoly, and they simply don't care. The only thing they care about is things that may be a threat to them getting this contract again when it is rebid.

That is why I always say we need to type out "Government Liquidation" in these threads and not say GL. That way the search engines pick it up and people doing research about them can read just how many of us have had these same issues. Bad press, if they feel it is eough to put the contact in jeapordy, is the only method we have for forcing them to clean up their mess.

As for breach of contract- even if you could make the case, they will back down, remove the default fee, and let you bid again. At that point you ahve no damages to show the court, so no real case.

T

televisionman007

hey on my first time out with GL i bought a m105 trailer and well my card is a card that has to let me say yes im using my card. well i didnt get a call till the fourth day and they suspended my account for non payment. Now my card ,when it gets swiped or used a phone call comes to me at time of tranaction. when i got called it was too late they suspended me and charged me 87 bucks jus so i can go back on. I have since taken care of that issue and the next two purchases went great. lessoned learned i guess i should pay more attention instead of jus relying on auto pay to take care of it.2cents

Chief_919

5 people already in this thread with problems with Government Liquidations payment system.

I wonder how much extra money they make from people that suck it up and pay default fees based up Government Liquidations screw ups?

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...we need to type out "Government Liquidation" in these threads and not say GL. That way the search engines pick it up and people doing research about them can read just how many of us have had these same issues.
That right there is the best dang thing I've heard all day. I will start doing this and encourage others to do as well.

time4wine_again

Email mail I received about 30 minutes ago:

Dear Ms. Townsend,

Thank you for your e-mail.

This e-mail will address sale 5403, invoice 491519. First and foremost, however, please refer to the following excerpts of the Terms and Conditions that all buyers agree to at the time of registration and when placing their bids:
Section 6-D. Unless otherwise indicated in another written Agreement with GL, all payments must be received within 3 business days of the date of the invoice. For purposes of calculating time, the date of the invoice will not be counted as the first day.

Section 6-E. In the event you fail to pay the entire purchase price within the time set forth by us or fail to comply with any of these terms and conditions, we will assess as liquidated damages the greater of 25% of the winning bid or thirty (30) dollars. Note: Refunds will not be issued for amounts less than $2.50 nor will invoices be issued for sums less than $2.50.

Our records indicate that sale 5403 closed on September 02, 2010. The next business day, September 03, 2010, Government Liquidation posted an “Awaiting Payment in FULL” notice and an invoice via your online account. For a copy of the notice and the invoice, please refer to the attached document labeled ‘491519.’

Unfortunately, Government Liquidation did not receive payment for invoice 491519 by its due date, September 09, 2010. Therefore, in accordance with Section 6-E of the Terms and Conditions, the invoice was cancelled, your winning bid was voided, your account was suspended and a $399.75 default fee was assessed. Section 6-E of the Terms and Conditions is posted above for your reference and understanding.

Based upon the information mentioned above, Government Liquidation will be unable to reinstate the invoice or waive the default fee.

In order to reactivate your account, please submit certified funds (i.e., cashier’s check, money order or wire transfer) in the amount of $399.75. Payment instructions are provided in the attached document labeled ‘GL.’

We appreciate your cooperation and understanding in this matter.

Sincerely,

Customer Service Management
Government Liquidation
15051 N. Kierland Blvd.
Suite 300
Scottsdale, AZ 85254
Phone: 480-367-1300

So I called, she was still trying to flip it on me, but was going to investigate the lack of documentation for the wire transfer request.
She did agree with me on that point (I believed her is what I meant to say), said I wouldn't be in default if that was the case
She said she would call me back before the of the day and let me know what she found out (I believed her again).

exbrown

They always debit my credit card immediately. There have been several times in which the charges were declined. I call my bank and they say it should have gone through. I have never figured out what the problem is. I end up paying by wire transfer about half the time.

Point is, I have never seen them not try and charge my card within 24 hours.

I hope you win this and get your account reinstated.

time4wine_again

They didn't try to run the card at all. They freely admit that. They claim the account was switched to "wire transfer" payment. Then when they didn't get the funds via wire, I defaulted. All of my purschases in 4 years have been cridit card.
Nobody knows why the account payment method changed or who did it.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
On Tuesday I did an online chat with a GL Rep and told them I was going to bid on a big ticket item and to change my account from credit card to wire transfer for that one event. I did not bid on the item since it went out of my range.
It is entirely possible that somebody hit the wrong key and put your account number in by mistake (not that they would ever
admit it).
I would demand absolute proof that they changed your account on YOUR request.....you have to ask to have it done by phone or
email.

I had a similar experience and managed to bargin down the price of having my account reinstated.

DO NOT BACK DOWN!!!!

Get someone in authority on the line and ask if he wants to see a news crew in his office Monday morning.

Bottom line is they are in the catbird seat and know it....you just have to know how to present your case.

mistaken1

When you bid aren't there radio buttons where you select the payment type? Wire transfer, check, credit card on file, etc. Isn't the default wire transfer?

time4wine_again

I've never seen that, but doesn't mean they aren't there. Per the terms, credit card is the default unless you write a letter requesting wire transfer

time4wine_again

**UPDATE**
The girl did call me back. She was very adament that I reply to the email I was sent. She was insistant I cut'n paste the parts of the Terms I used for my defense. Said they agreed to take another look at the issue. Below is what I sent them (minus my account info).

To Customer Service Management,

You have based this account suspension on the claim of a wire transfer payment not being received within the specified time limits. However, we have never requested to GL to make payment in the form of a wire transfer. The Terms and Conditions clearly state in Section 6-G-3 as follows;

"If you choose a form of payment other than a credit card, the following information must accompany a letter of instruction:
  • Company name (if applicable)
  • Customer name
  • Telephone number
  • Sales event number or contract number
  • Signature and date
  • Twenty-five percent of total bid amount "
Please check your records and you will find no such letter was sent or request has been made.

The Terms and Conditions also state in Section 6-G-2;
"Credit cards submitted online will automatically be charged the full amount of your purchase..."
Without the above letter, our contract with GL mandates the default method of payment as a credit card. A credit card number was provided (selected) for use. It is the sole responsibility of Government Liquidation to properly charge the credit card, not the buyer.

Terms and Conditions Section 2-C reads as follows;
"We require you to provide us with an accurate mailing address, telephone number, email address, so that we can communicate with you regarding your account, purchases and payments."
Government Liquidation communicates via email every time I am outbid, when I place a bid, and various other times. But, GL chose to not communicate via email (or any other method) in regards to the account and payment per Section 2-C.

In closing, we present Section 2-A-9;
"Agree to deal with us in good faith,.."
We are trying to be understandable and patient. We do understand that mistakes happen and computers do have "glitches". For reasons unknown to us, GL changed our account to a wire transfer type. This was done without our consent or knowledge. Please immediately unsuspend our account and honor our winning bid.

Sincerely,

Any thoughts??

stumps

The letter sounds fine. I would change the last line: "We are trying to be understandable and patient... " to: "We are trying to be reasonable and patient..." or, maybe understanding and patient...

-Chuck