• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

suspension lift for m35 2 1/2

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
this is a very easy thing to solve and keep it safe. 3" square tubing under the cab and bed, redrill holes for fuel tank and tool box brackets. lift kits that change the suspension are unsafe and illegal in many states. just my 2¢

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
my first 'milleniun reo' had it done to clear the cat motor and the 6000 series trans. only the cab was raised. you will need 2 pieces of 1" by 3" for the front fender mounts and a shoth piece for the rear cab mount. also the steering column will have to be moved, mine had u-joints and an open shaft so was easy.

Attachments

Last edited:

jesusgatos

I can't believe how many of you guys are saying that it would be unsafe to modify the suspension. How can you make a blanket statement like that?

Fletcher-

It's definitely possible to lift your truck AND it can be done safely in any number of ways. What are you trying to get out of it?

If your goal is to have a truck that 'looks mean', then I'd probably follow the advice that's already been given and install a body lift. Problem solved.

If you're more interested in performance, custom-made leafsprings might be the best option. I would start by contacting Deaver. They build custom springs for all types of off-road trucks, and I would bet they've already built springs for a Deuce at one time or another.

You could also redesign the suspension completely, but that's probably a pointless conversation. If you're really interested in more custom options, just go search pirate4x4. Word of warning: this would be getting WAY beyond lift kits. The suspension options beyond replacement leafsprings would basically involve re-engineering the suspension to suit your needs and a LOT of custom fabrication.

tm america

i agree i cant believe how much think suspension lifts are unsafe . i've seen just as many problems with body lifts .if you wheel it hard the extra leverage a body lift gives on the cab mounts causes them to flex ussually making the fan hit the rad or the trns to pop out of gear cuz the linkage moved .you may not run into those problems with a deuce but if the holes in the floor arent made bigger the shifters could hit the floor and give you problems .so basically it doesnt matter what you do if you dont do it properly you will have problems.you shouldnt use lift blocks on the front nor should you use 2x4s for a body lift .people have been doing lifts several ways even the factory uses suspension lifts but non of em use body lifts.just as non of the manufactures use double frame for lifts.

Pappa-G

fletcher,
It has been my experiance that wheel hop in sand is an issue of to high air pressure in the tires. In my jeep I would drop to 5psi. All sand is different though so adjust accordingly.
I'm not a big fan of bodylifts but it would be way easier, cheeper and practical.
good luck with the build

rivired

Ya that was kinda retarded saying suspension lifts are unsafe and illegal..i bet ud be hard pressed to find a state that has BANNED all forms of suspension lifts..even the tiny leveling kits and what not.

All the top brands make high quality safe durable products..

And this is coming from sombody who isnt a fan of "LIFT KITS" too.

Shane 1971 M35A2

I want to also lift my 6x6 M35A2 8 inches or more. Where are some pictures of these "double frame" lifts? Seems like a no brainer to me if braced good and strong. I think 46 inch tires with 8 inches of lift would look just fine in 6x6 form. Why do people think bobbers are the only way to lift? Of coarse they are easier, but I want a lifted 6x6. Are there any double frame lift pictures out there?

HanksDeuce

Search for Hank's Deuce in google. His is a bobber but may give you some ideas to start with and some places to look for parts.
See the link below for my build thread. Black Rock Fab made the lift kit. I'm not sure if he does those anymore, but feel free to reach out to Kyle and see.

davidb56

this is a very easy thing to solve and keep it safe. 3" square tubing under the cab and bed, redrill holes for fuel tank and tool box brackets. lift kits that change the suspension are unsafe and illegal in many states. just my 2¢
I was wondering why he wanted a suspension lift instead of a body lift for the rubbing issue. 53's won't fit without bobbing it.

Redpawn

It would be a mountain of work but you could cut all the rivets holding to tandems in and put a piece of box tubing between the frame and tandem set up. I would use some thick box tubing like 3/8 or better. Wield the box tube closed on both ends and wield it to the frame and drill new holes and bolt the tandems back on. You can do similar to the front just move all the mounts down lower. Just make sure you put a lot of gussets in there to keep it all from moving around. We do basically the same thing to our mud trucks to get more lift.

tobyS

I'm using 1/4" plate made to an L that is 11" x 3" X 10' long, plating the entire length of the frame (outside). That is 3" below the 8" so the perch or lift kit does not need to be near as high. It's a lot of work stripping the frame of everything, but I wanted the reinforcement all the way to behind the cab. You could also only have it made about 5' long as the springs on 105 or deuce front end are 48" c to c.

I just got done welding my saddle and perch up with the air bag on top (literally it is still hot). I have 3 degree on the perch to make my driveshaft about 1.5 degree off of parallel. I'll go take a couple in process photo's to add to this post. More will be posted soon on my thread www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?186540-Deuce-4x4-with-M105-reduced-spring-and-air-bag. I just got the new 3/4" U bolts and bags. I have a piece of 3.5" x 3.5" that is the axle size, so will assemble it for a picture.

Attachments

Last edited:

tobyS

I want to also lift my 6x6 M35A2 8 inches or more. Where are some pictures of these "double frame" lifts? Seems like a no brainer to me if braced good and strong. I think 46 inch tires with 8 inches of lift would look just fine in 6x6 form. Why do people think bobbers are the only way to lift? Of coarse they are easier, but I want a lifted 6x6. Are there any double frame lift pictures out there?
The double frame they are referring to is using a section from an M105 trailer with the spring mounts and all when making a deuce 4x4. It's not done with both axles. The frame of an M105 is 5" thick, so adds 5" of height without having blocks between the axle and spring that are (when tall) subject to "axle wrap." The 46" 14.00R20 tire will rub together on the 6x6 but 395 will work...just..

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks