• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SW 60k BTU Multifuel Heater, Not Working, Won't Light

74M35A2

I ran those numbers this morning, after the unit sat outside overnight, in the rain, with the covers off of both the control box and heater top (fuel control area). My dumb fault. I wasn't expecting good results, but wanted to run the heater to dry it out before I moved it inside anyway. Here is where we are at:

Conditions: 33F ambient, 88% humidity, >8hrs since last run, diesel fuel
Time to first exhaust smoke trace: 9s
Time to first combustion ignition rumble: 24s
Time to flame detection switch on: 41s

These times are as on a time line starting from 0s, not adding one to each other. For clarity, the unit switch to self-sustain 41s after I flipped and held the start switch.

Time to flame detection switch off (purge): 2m09s (from fully heat saturated 10 minute run on high)

The purge time was done after the heater ran on high for 10 minutes, so I expected it to be long. The blower does not shut off until the combustion exhaust gas temp is cool such as blowing on your hand. Seem all good to me. I'm overly happy about it.

For anybody bench testing theirs, the operation light on the control box will not illuminate until the control box is grounded. It will run the heater correctly without being grounded though.

74M35A2

Yes, conventional consumer fuel station pump type diesel. Also need to mention this was electrically powered off my truck slave port, as it was idling, so Vdc>24. I am also starting the unit on "high", which is not per the manual. But once apart, it is clear that the fuel needs to saturate the vaporizer and the travel up the wick to the igniter. I want to do the same test with a start on lo setting and compare light-off times. Starting on lo should take more time, and I didn't see any risk in starting on hi once I saw how it all worked. This unit has a build date of 1998, and it can be started on hi (no lock-out).

Considering the unit went from not flowing enough fuel to now starting quickly, I partially attribute the cleanliness of the combustor fuel tube end, wick, and igniter, to the good results.

Thanks again for holding my hand through this, I hope I can repay all in return going forward.

Last edited:

tractors0130

Thanks. Best times I have ever seen, but then I have no experience with the "new" units. #1 diesel fuel, right?
#1 diesel is same as #1 kerosene, ULSK (ultra low sulfur kerosene) and aviation turbine fuel. It's all derived from light distillate from crude fractionation versus diesel distillate. Turbine fuel used in jet planes has the tightest specs. for smoke and freeze points, color and particulates. If it passes the spec for turbine fuel, it's sold for for jet fuel, #1 or kerosene, whatever is selling highest at the time. Most of the #1 or ULSK goes into the ULSD blending.

nwkswaterfowler

Just want to thank everyone on this thread. My husband's putting ours in, and it wasn't starting. After using this and another thread to help trouble-shoot, it started within 45s and on high! A crushed o-ring (brand new unit in box) that hadn't aged well was the problem!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks