• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Swap 6.2 for another 6.2

cclary25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So found potential great deal on 6.2 replacement since mine is currently being held together by JB weld. I have tried searching the internet and all I can seem to find is post regarding swapping from the 6.2 to the 6.5 and similar results. I was just trying to find information on just replacing my 6.2 for another 6.2. Also, wondering if this is something that with a good bit a free time and some good directions could accomplish myself at home. I figure would need to purchase HF engine hoist.

So if know of some good directions and if could give me some insight on if this is something could tackle myself would like to find this out before I go pick up the replacement 6.2 for my 1987 HMMWV

Thank You So much!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Takes about 3 to 5 hours to have the motor out of a HMMWV using basic hand tools and maybe an electric impact. That is by yourself. Not much heavy stuff, only awkward part if the hood since it is big. Everything else is pretty simple for removing it out of a normal chevy truck. Radiator/cooler is pretty simple as well to remove. I would leave the transmission in the truck and just bottle jack it up. It is a 1 person job easily.

NV555

No too hard. Of course if your replacement is a military take out makes things much better. Take a lot of pictures and try to do it the same weekend.

With some help and the right equipment about a 4 hour job. For me like a 72 hour job :)

cclary25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got one other question while I got the motor outside of Vehicle are there any parts would recommend changing that are not very expensive and would be easy to do with motor out? I was thinking of changing out the glow plugs and putting in some Wellman Glow Plugs. Would it also be worthwhile buying a entire gasket set and going ahead and changing the head gasket while motor outside? Also, are there any recommended brands or are they all the same?

Thank You again!

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you head gaskets are not leaking I wouldn't pull the heads. If it aint broke.............. If you decide to replace the gaskets I have used Fel-Pro gasket on my 6.2's for 20 years with great results. Swapping a 6.2 for another one is like stated above. Pretty straight forward. It took me a lot longer than 5 hours to remove mine. But I'm older and have a broken back from a motor cycle wreak. So I work a bit slower. I would swap the glow plugs while it is out. A lot easier to get to the ones on the passenger side that way. Make sure you use never seize on the new plugs. I would replace the water pump and flush the block as much as you can. These thing have a tendency to run hot so any help you can give it can only extend it's service life. Inspect the new engine closely. If anything is leaking that would be a good time to fix it.

cclary25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There more I was reading up was coming to the same conclusion no point changing them if don't need to. Will I need new gaskets for the exhaust since swapping it out? Also, new to all this and the terms what exactly is flushing the block?

Thank You

papakb

I haven't had the heat shields on mine for the last 15 years because the right side is almost impossible to get to with the engine in the vehicle so they're something to think about. The left side is wide open but anything on the right side is fair game........

NV555

I agree with the cooling system. Water pump is good and grab a stainless lower crossover tube if you don't have one already. The older ones are very rusty inside. I would cut most of your fuel lines and power steering hoses off about an inch on each end or replace. They have cracks and splits that keep leaking.

Skrilex

Banned
If you ever wanted to put a body lift on, doing the front driver block is kinda tricky, unless the engine is out then it’s easy. So, good time to do it if that’s a desire. Just got mine in yesterday, cost about 40$ and lifted me 2”.

NV555

NOS STAINLEES STEEL LOWER RADIATOR TUBE 4710-01-188-0028 PN 12339152 Can be found on a fav auction for 95.00

I put that in a new water pump, new radiator, and hoses runs very cool now.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't had the heat shields on mine for the last 15 years because the right side is almost impossible to get to with the engine in the vehicle so they're something to think about. The left side is wide open but anything on the right side is fair game........
Yea me too. I used header wrap to insulate mine. I want from the heads to the muffler with it. The cab is MUCH cooler inside!!

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There more I was reading up was coming to the same conclusion no point changing them if don't need to. Will I need new gaskets for the exhaust since swapping it out? Also, new to all this and the terms what exactly is flushing the block?
Thank You
Flushing the block is removing the thermostat and using a water hose, flushing water backwards through the coolant passages. The hope is to remove as much crud and crap as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

cclary25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like this won't be happening after all, user messaged me this morning on this forum saying they were local and would sell me a running take out 6.2 to help me out since purchased my HMMWV from guy who lied about motor being a complete lemon so messaged guy all day saying would take it when could I pick up. Well, just go a message saying they sold motor. So looks like won't be fixing HMMWV after all.

snowtrac nome

first off Don't get a harbor freight cherry picker. we used wreckers in Iraq. it makes a good justification for it when your wife asks why you bought it. Secondly there are 2 6.2 l engines one has a 2 piece rear main like your military model the other one has a full circle rear main and different harmonic balancer. if you source a gen 2 block the flexplate and harmonic balancer will have to be changed to work with your accessory drive and transmission.

Action

Call local junkyards for a gm 6.2. I have done 2 swaps with HF picker. One on a sloped driveways. 2 ton works like it is supposed to.

microjeep

In Memorial
In Memorial
Looks like this won't be happening after all, user messaged me this morning on this forum saying they were local and would sell me a running take out 6.2 to help me out since purchased my HMMWV from guy who lied about motor being a complete lemon so messaged guy all day saying would take it when could I pick up. Well, just go a message saying they sold motor. So looks like won't be fixing HMMWV after all.
Hey bud don't give up hope, post a WTB (Want To Buy} in the classifieds, try to identify whether you have the 1 or 2 piece rear main seal (maybe someone can chime in that knows what to look for) knowing that will help determine how complete new motor will need to be, flex plate, oil pan, balancer. Reading TM's (sometimes multiple times myself) and becoming familiar with them is cheap but priceless, this will help greatly with part names and the terminology we use on the site. Keep in mind a CUCV motor is basically the same inside and other than the 3 parts mentioned previously and any electrical parts everything else should swap as far as I know?
And don't be afraid to ask questions, we were all new at this at one time.

NV555

Well a good used 6.2 military is under 1k. Most are take outs are where people put in a 6.5 or a GEP. I thought I had seen one for sale on here not long ago. Being in MO is a good location. Heck you might even find a good 6.5 along the way.

Best of luck hang in there!

cclary25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for all the info really appreciate everything and yeh was just really bummed out last night since a user on here private messaged me telling me they had a 6.2 pull out locally and would give it to me for $500 to help me out due to my spot. I sent him messages the entire day saying I would take it when could I come pick it up and around midnight last night received a message from him saying he sold it to a guy in alberquque. Well, then I received a message this morning saying if I wanted to pay $950 I could come pick it up tomorrow. All I have to say is there are some real jerks on this site. Don't seek someone out and offer them something at a price then come back day later saying can only have it for double the price you asked. Think I'm just going to stick to the purchasing the turbo 6.5 from a genuinely nice individual then that jerk, it just sucks since changing out the 6.2 to the turbo 6.5 is way out of my DIY level but figure in the end it will be nice to have a Turbo Diesel HMMWV.