• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Swap in 6.5 in CUCV???

andytk5

I have searched as much as I could to find the info and also not make a double thread if somebody already has.

Seems like the 6.5 already makes more power than the 6.2 and I have seen a few go up for sale on the Gov Liq site for pretty cheap. From the reading I have done the 6.5 gets into the 205hp~ range but more importantly it is around 440ft-lbs~ which is what I am more focused on, add in the 4.56s and this thing will be awesome for the boat which I tow to the ramp up to about 40mph...

My question is the turbo versions I see are HMMV version, center mount turbo that would need to be moved over to the side like the sidewinder kit. So need the different pass side header, fab up some tubing with a bender and welder to run the exhaust and the intakes. Wouldn't you basically just be moving the turbo and possibly changing the intake (maybe?) and probably the oil pan, but other than that???

Am I about right on the hp/tq maybe they were 190hp and 400~tq, but turning up the 6.5 to a little more than 200hp to boost the torque is fairly easy from what I have read, and perf parts are plentiful. Not trying to build a monster but would liike the 440-450tq area with that drivetrain.

Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Westech

CPL
you will need the turbo and exhaust manifold off a Civy 6.5 turbo. The 6.5 center mount turbo will not work in a cucv as you stated. the best thing to do is just swap a 6.5 turbo on to your 6.2 and bump the fuel just a tad. you will be very close to the power of a 6.5

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You would also need to replace the heads. The intake bolts are at a completely different angle for the center mount turbo.

andytk5

AH... So now we enter the P.I.T.A. territory, seems to be getting more $$$ and more time involved.. better to find a used 6.5 turbo civvy somewhere. Unless I can find those heads cheap, then figuring what condition they are in...

86m1028

I don't know if this helps or not but here goes.
I have a 2000 3500hd with the HO turbo 6.5, nv4500 & 4.63 gears.
That truck is absolutely gutless. It will run highway speeds but that's about it.
I would rather have a fi350 or 454 any day over that 6.5.

Last edited:

DrJekl

The pick up version of the 6.5 turbo uses a side mount turbo and the heads with the right bolt angle. I think it is 90 degree and 60 degree angle. The rear mount HMMWV and van turbo 6.5 use the 60 degree while the truck uses the 90. Heads can be an issue because of cracking so check closely between the valves. I scored a low mile 6.5T from GL that had a broken push rod, bent valve, one broken valve, and a valve to piston impact. I took the engine to a local shop, they tore it down, inspected everything, replaced a few parts, and slapped on a set of pick up style heads for me. My area of concern is the oil pan. I did all this before coming to Korea and have not attempted to install the engine yet.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just picked up a 94 6.5 TD fresh rebuilt to swap into my M1028. The tag on the valve cover stated 205HP at 3600. Although i'm hoping to stay in the 175HP range after i strip the turbo off. I have a 92 Single plane intake for it. I've ported and polished it and the exaust manafolds hoping for a little more airflow. I installed 2 1/2 inch exaust anding it before the rear axle. I realize i'll have to turn down the fuel rate a bit. I also installed a ram air intake on the 92 model airfilter. It's much larger than than the CUCV airfilter housing. I did it to remove the dreadful drone at 45MPH. I don't think i can go fast enough to get any boost effect. Mabye a little vacume reduction.